Your Cycling Diet

Older

Diet is imporant to an athlete. All you guys with the low body fat % help the guys with the not so low %.

What is your recommended diet say for one day?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, my % not so low... breakfast most important. lunch, and dinner. Snacks inbetween, lots of fruit and verggies. Portion size is also important. Should consist of mostly carbs, then protein and then fat.

I do - cereal with rice milk,

snack - a little pasta and boiled egg.

snack - an orange

lunch - rice and chicken and a plum

snack - banana

dinner - potatoe /fish, mixed veg...

Here is the daily recommend intake for athletes training 1-2 hours a day:

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight.

Use the minimum amount of each nutrient if you want to lose some weight and vice versa.

Hope it helps!

[Maryke Verster - Sport Scientist]

My diet that made me loose 10kg so far this year, after I've been stuck on 85kg for 3 years, is

6am: cereal (cocopops, Milo, Cherios, Weetbix (I alternate)) and low fat milk and sugar. small glass of fruit juice.

9am: small low fat yoghurt

10:30am: packet of simba chips and small chocolate

12pm: 2x sanwiches. One salty and one sweet

3pm: serving of fruit

6pm: whatever is for dinner. Don't excludes burgers or pizzas. BUT keep meet never exceeds 140gr.

7:30pm: first cup of coffee for the day and 2 biscuits or snack of other sorts.

Also I drink 4 big glasses of water during the day. I think all the fat burning is running to the loo every 30 minutes.

I don't want to loose anymore weight because replacing my wardrobe is getting expensive.

Here is the daily recommend intake for athletes training 1-2 hours a day:

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight.

Use the minimum amount of each nutrient if you want to lose some weight and vice versa.

Hope it helps!

[Maryke Verster - Sport Scientist]

Hi Maryke. I read similar info in the book "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance". Ideally I would like to weigh a constant 68kgs and therefore would need to eat at minimum 5g x 68 = 340g of Carbs. That would require me to eat at least 14 bananas or a complete loaf of whole-wheat bread. That sounds a bit extreme and I would find it difficult eating anything else after having consumed so much carbs during the day. There will be no space left in my body for other fruit and veggies as well. Also very important is when you eat your carbs because I believe that timing is important. From what I have read it seems that carbs needs to be consumed just before and after workouts because that is when they are most beneficial to the muscle glycogen stores and won’t be channeled towards fat storage.

Your thoughts please and do u think I am correct in my thinking?

Bit bored, so here's my menu for today.

5:45 - Bowl of oats with seedmix(sunflower, linseed and pumpkin seed)

7:00 - 2 heaped teaspoons organic woolies peanut butter

08:00 - Two apples

09:00 - 1 heaped tsp peanut butter

10:30 - 3/4 whey protein shake

11:45 - about 400g veggies/salad

12:30 - probably 120g chicken breast

Have already drinked 3 mugs of tea and about 2litres of water

Then for the rest of the day:

about 170g fatfree yogurt

1 large coffee and 1 cuppicino (2% milk)

another apple

2 cracker bread

Mixed nuts

Another 2 bottles of water

dinner: Lots and lots of veggies and some chicken (eaten over a period of 2 hours)

Will go for a run this afternoon

is it possible to plateau at a specific weight after a while because i can't seem to drop my weight any further with cycling. I've added swimming into my schedule now and have immediately lost 2.5kg in 2 weeks. i usually cycle about 12-15 hours a week and have kept to a reasonably strict diet for the last 6 months.

is it possible to plateau at a specific weight after a while because i can't seem to drop my weight any further with cycling. I've added swimming into my schedule now and have immediately lost 2.5kg in 2 weeks. i usually cycle about 12-15 hours a week and have kept to a reasonably strict diet for the last 6 months.

Well if you don't burn more then you put in then you will never loose more weight. There's small things that can help. Cutting sugars like bread and some vegetables can also help.

Well if you don't burn more then you put in then you will never loose more weight. There's small things that can help. Cutting sugars like bread and some vegetables can also help.

here's a typical day's food for me:

Breakfast - 2 weetbix or small bowl of oats

Lunch - 6-8 cream crackers, tin of tuna/2 boiled eggs, salad

Dinner - medium portion of whatever I make

I don't eat bread anymore and even stay away from fruit due to the high concentrations of sugar.

I've calculated my basal metabolic rate and train and burn on average 1500-2500 Cal per 2 hour daily workout. Based on what I eat I should lose weight quite quickly.

The only thing is i'm not built like a cyclist, i've been a swimmer my whole life and thus have most of my weight sitting on the upper part of my body.

you need to eat more. You need something between bf and lunch and lunck and supper. Maybe split your lunch up to cover brunch and something else small for mid afternoon. Also switch from creamcrackers to Pyotts cracker bread. R10-R12 a box and really nice.

http://www.brandpower.com/images/NPWimages/Pyotts.jpg

Google weight set point theory.

If you are fit and healthy, and in good shape (ask your girlfriend/boyfriend...one of each) then you have achieved all that there is to achieve.

Pro cyclists are about as useful a guide for real life people as models are, often for similar reasons.