Freeride in Gauteng???

nolipoli

So I know the boys in the Cape and in Natal are spoiled for places to ride, but up here in GP there seems to be a real shortage of riding spots.

Anyone know of any great little spots for Freeride up here?

I guess what I am after is something more hectic than normal trails, but less hectic than DH. The problem with DH is that you need a shuttle, because the courses are too steep to ride up, especially on a DH bike.

So in an ideal world, something more like Tokai or Giba, but in Gauteng.

guess we gonna have to put some work into the Spruit and make something worth riding.

whos feeling strong B)

Try the Protea play ground/4x4 area in Krugersdorp (think kingkloof now forms part of it or is in the same area)theres some pretty hectic riding there, with lots of rocks, steps etc im sure you'd enjoy it, although maybe still too tame.

Boschkop mtb track also has some nice northshore type stuff like drops and jumps, should be fun.

guess we gonna have to put some work into the Spruit and make something worth riding.

whos feeling strong B)

Freeride needs hills?

Best spot would be fort Klapperkop in Pretoria......

There is a DH track at Helderkruin close to Randburg.....

We ride those on DH bikes, which are a pain to ride back up again, and my wife won't shuttle me anymore. :(

But maybe a selection of features on the Spruit is not a bad idea. As long as we can stop the 'locals' from using any wood structures for firewood. Peach, I am happy to put in some time and spadework. Maybe we should get some interested parties together at the dirt jumps, and see what other features we can build around that area. Maybe there is scope for a gap jump over the river!! :o Maybe a dropoff or two?

I guess from the 'spruit's recent history, I'd be careful about building any structures (at least it solves the fire wood issue).

People choose to ride obstacles - people fall off and get hurt - people sue builders... :blink:

Entire cycling community looses out :angry:

Super_mil, I guess you are right. Maybe we will be limited to dirt features, because it is really just reorganising the sand a little. Maybe we need to rent a back-hoe or mini bulldozer. :D

Weight Weenie, is the Boschkop Mtb trail on the actual Boschkop? How do I get in there?

I know a couple of the guys are starting to put some platform launches and that kinda thing at the delta park end of the spruit... maybe that could be built up quite a bit too?

I'm also willing to put in time and spade work

Noli,

Come ride the Spruit with us. Sort of a mixture of extreme-ish XC / light freeride. Loads of fun. What are you riding other than your Glory?

Hey Daft

At the moment, I am on a 2010 Giant Trance X2, but am not feeling super confident on it. After my last bike (Giant Reign) it feels skittish and less stable in the air. It is also quite lightweight. I am seriously looking to change to something a little more capable. Its a pity that the new Reign is not Available.

I also have a GT Ruckus that I use for DJ.

Depends on my mood...

Either a

Da Bomb XLR-8R Dual Slalom / Dirt Jump Hardtail

Da Bomb Cherry Bomb 4x / Slopestyle Full Susser or

Cove Hustler XC/AM full susser.

I usually take the cherry bomb though. Is the mostest fun to ride...