Knee issues !!!

DRIVETRAIN

smiley4.gif

Ok I need some advice/assistence:

New Groupset from 170 to 172.5 cranks..11-23 cassette...52 ring...been riding for the past 8months with them no hassle  - 2yrs ago a left knee problem - that was sorted with some minor adjustments i.e set-up etc.. - been riding well since.

I never adjusted my set-up since the new cranks even when some told me I had to drop the saddle height a tad - (maybe I should now) - 

Saturday I went out after a 2wk lay-off travelling - did well but nothing too hectic - Sunday 100k's mostly slow to moderate .. got pain at the back of the right knee which transferred to the knee area itself - I could ride tho' ...

I don't usually use the big ring too much since the first knee incident / even now I ride mostly high cadence to prevent stomping on the pedals -

I don't understand it - maybe "moderate" was too much / saddle height / etc ...???? Any thoughts ...

"DTsmiley4.gif"

Funny, also having some knee problems after some moderate riding and never had before. I've asked around and the consensus is that I may have an alignment problem and that it is not bike set-up.

You need to go to someone that specializes in this who may give you a wedge to use. I haven't done it, but everyone swears by it.

If your saddle is too low, your knee will hurt at the bottom. If it is above or on the side, it can't be the saddle. Also check your cleats. The play may be too much, especially if you use Crankbrothers.

I may have an alignment problem and that it is not bike set-up.

You need to go to someone that specializes in this who may give you a wedge to use. I haven't done it' date=' but everyone swears by it.

[/quote']

Something might have happened that set you body out of wack. Go to a chiro and let them check it out. I would not go for wedges yet. Rather try and fix the body first. It's like if you have a headache and all youdo is take headache tablets instead of finding the source of the problem. By the way, after I went to a chiro, my headaches were gone aswell.

Go for a profesional bike setup, I also had knee problems a few years ago, so once a year I  either go to cyclelab, or more recently Jaco Fereira. A simple thing like new cleats not 100% correct gives me problems immediately.

Sorted it out in no time, but if you leave it and try and guess yourself, things are guarenteed to become worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Had severe knee pain after my first ride on my new MTB. Took my bike in to Cycle Factory to have a look at my set up. In the end moved my saddle about 8-10mm forward and the pain is gone.

On my previous mtb I suffered from lower back pain on long climbs. Fiddling with my saddle height solved that.

Like RABUBI says, go for a pro bike set up.

Maybe I am missing something but why does it cost R350-R500 to set up saddle height and cleat position! In reality isn't this the only real issue that needs major setup input? I know stem length plays a part but most of the setups issues seem to revolve around cleat position and saddle height.