29" MTB

Perot

Anyone ride a 29" MTB?  Any thoughts on the best entry level 29" bike is and what I should expect to pay?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there even such a thing as an entry-level 29er? thought by their very nature that they're niche articles. stand corrected. holy roller2007-09-10 01:39:57

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha..............................With which type of groupset ? should be added then we have our fight setup for today Wink

Ok, could anyone at the same time maybe give some clarity on how Mountain Bike sizing works ???

I thought a 22" is the largest size frame you get ????

Thx 

29" is wheels size. Normal MTBs use 26" wheels.

Just to clarify things:

29" = wheel size NOT frame size

Entry level = approx. R 10K (which is what I've seen as the starting point)

My interest is in what's available locally (SA - Gauteng even better).

The Cyclelab guys where saying something about getting in some 29" 2008 Gary Fishers and Treks.  The 29er Treks are interesting as they run a MX bike type setup with a 26" rear wheel and 29" front wheel.  They are available in single speed, hard tail and full suspension formats.  They look strange but may work quite nice. The practicality of carrying to sets of spare tubes is a bit of a bummer.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/top_fuel_69er/topfuel69er

Ha' date='ha,ha,ha,ha..............................With which type of groupset ? should be added then we have our fight setup for today Wink

Ok, could anyone at the same time maybe give some clarity on how Mountain Bike sizing works ???

Thx 
[/quote']

with giants, for instance, it's a bit hazy. some bikes go up odd inches and other evens (but nearly always in increments of two - except for the stp bikes which only come in 13,5 and 14,5). older giants come in xs, s, m, l, etc.

and, i stand corrected here, but i remember an article in which cannondale had made a special frame for shaquille o'neal which was a 35"

holy roller2007-09-10 05:34:11

Ok, I ride a 29'er, it works, real well! I have no idea who started this vicious tube rumour, I use normal tubes and just stretch them a little, never had an issue (2 years of riding). The GF guys have a Big Sur (I think) as the lowest model, also next year Specialized have a 29'er, don't think it'll reach out shores though, you never know. If you want the best, get a Titus Ali 29'er! It is unreal!

How is the availability of 29? tires and tubes?(WP/GP)  I must say 26 to 29? is quite a stretch.   <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Trust me tubes are a non-issue! Tyres, you have the options from IRC and Bontrager, Specialized are looking at bringing some in, Continental have 1 or 2 and the guys from Kenda are eventually going to cave in and start bringing in for me soon!

Are you based in the WP or GP? What shop stock 29" stuff? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I see WTB also have 29" tires but then again it is only relevant if it is brought in ZA.