Garmin Edge 705 ordered, what else to get ?

mark ellis

Just orderd a 705 with hr and cadence, is there anything I need to get for this thing? is there anything else in terms of software I need to get? training or map software?

Some extra mounts, they aren't very reliable from what I've heard...

Dunno where you ordered but CRC has a nice garmin case that houses the strap, gps etc with a zip and mesh deviders, even holes so it can dry the wet strap.

Also for the mtb a good idea is to get some form of stick-on clear screen cover to prevent scratches, should also help the screen not to crack if you fall.

Haven't played much with software but WKO Training Peaks is higly rated, also try Sports Track, free net download.

Not sure if your garmin includes the SA map sd card, if not you will need to get it if you want street mapping as it only has base maps.

Jip, you'll need to get some additional maps as the base map is borderline useless.

About the screen protectors, I got the ones by Zagg (?) through invisible protectors, have to say it seems quite the business..

Haven't played much with software but WKO Training Peaks is higly rated, also try Sports Track, free net download.

WKO+ is really great for training with a power meter. I'm less sure if it's really worth it if you aren't going to go that route.

Sporttracks is great, but the new version is no longer free and many of the plugins are also no longer free. Still, it's well worth the $35 you pay for it.

Golden Cheetah is free open-source power training software, but I personally haven't used it.

WKO+ is really great for training with a power meter. I'm less sure if it's really worth it if you aren't going to go that route.

Sporttracks is great, but the new version is no longer free and many of the plugins are also no longer free. Still, it's well worth the $35 you pay for it.

Golden Cheetah is free open-source power training software, but I personally haven't used it.

Besides the annoying screen on startup of V3 (you have used this software so many days) is there any technical issue with using it as it is? I have had none up to now ..... :D

I think V2 Sportstarck is no longer available to download from their site and you need to go V3 with payment if you want it.

Garmin connect is another way to go not as good but free, for training programmes you could also try http://www.fittrack.co.za/

Besides the annoying screen on startup of V3 (you have used this software so many days) is there any technical issue with using it as it is? I have had none up to now ..... :D

The trial limits the amount of equipment you can track (2 pieces) and I think the number of plugins you can use (1). They also mention only being able to track the last 90 days of history. I presume this applies carious summary stats, rather than the actual workouts.

Aside from the 90 day thing, I'd say that if it's working fine now it'll continue working fine. As for the 90 day thing, I gues you'll have to wait until December.

I dont want to get into a slinging match .. but is there any difference in terms of the information you get for training between the 305/500 and 705?

All do HR, cadence, speed and avg and distance - are the mapping features that usefull, or are they extra's that make riding your bike more fun ?

I dont want to get into a slinging match .. but is there any difference in terms of the information you get for training between the 305/500 and 705?

All do HR, cadence, speed and avg and distance - are the mapping features that usefull, or are they extra's that make riding your bike more fun ?

Edge 500/705 have ANT+ support which the Edge 305 doesn't: important if you want to train with a power meter. They also have the option to use 1 second recording intervals, rather than variable, smart recording intervals: again, more important for power meters than anything else.

I own an Edge 705 (on a road bike). If I had to replace it now, I'd buy a 500. The only major difference is the mapping features and I don't use those often enough to justify the extra cost

Most places I've seen that still sell new Edge 305s sell them for more than the Edge 500, so there is no real reason to get a new 305.