another cyclist killed

pastapouch

Sad news indeed, but just look at the headlines on the news on Saturday, 30 odd people killed in car accidents, any other country would have a day of national mourning, not here though, its just another day of carnage on the roads...roads are in a sorry state, unlicensed drivers on the road, vehicles that should be scapped still on the road. I don't think it will ever stop.

Tragic news again, RIP fellow cyclist :(

I think they said something like 80 000 people with fake licenses on our roads(it could wee be more.), there are 3 taxis in Durban that owe something like three million Rand in fines.

Tragic news again, RIP fellow cyclist :(

I think they said something like 80 000 people with fake licenses on our roads(it could wee be more.), there are 3 taxis in Durban that owe something like three million Rand in fines.

How sure are you of that?

Crack I think you understate this numbers. According to this 2008 article in Cape Town alone they have fined 35000 drivers without valid licences and something like 91000 licences found to be false.

http://drivemearound.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/more-unlicensed-drivers-being-caught/

If I can remember a month or so ago the was an article where it actually states that around 470 000 licences were found to be fake country wide, but so far only about 2700 has been cancelled as they have to find the people and take them to court before it can be cancelled.

Also in the unlikely case where an unlicenced driver are caught the fine is only R 1250.

See fines as at April 2009 here.

http://www.insurancefinder.co.za/insurance-news/articles/New-Traffic-Fines-Structure-in-South-Africa.aspx

Crack I think you understate this numbers. According to this 2008 article in Cape Town alone they have fined 35000 drivers without valid licences and something like 91000 licences found to be false.

http://drivemearound.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/more-unlicensed-drivers-being-caught/

If I can remember a month or so ago the was an article where it actually states that around 470 000 licences were found to be fake country wide, but so far only about 2700 has been cancelled as they have to find the people and take them to court before it can be cancelled.

Also in the unlikely case where an unlicenced driver are caught the fine is only R 1250.

See fines as at April 2009 here.

http://www.insurancefinder.co.za/insurance-news/articles/New-Traffic-Fines-Structure-in-South-Africa.aspx

Just disgracefull figures.!

.....But its just a symtom of our total disregard for the law in this country.

In any first world country the citizens respect the law and obey it, they may not like it, they may not want it, they may not even agree with it, but they will obey it.

I have a mate who lives in a New York apartment, every day he takes his dog out for a walk and carries with him a plastic spade and bag to collect any mess. Hmm, dont see much of that around my neighbourhood where the sidewalks are festooned with dog droppings.

The dog is licensed and he ensures the license is displayed on its collar. I asked him if anyone ever checks the license, he said no one had ever checked his, but its the law to license your pet so he do's. Like thats gonna work here.!

We have no one to blame but ourselves, our total disregard for the law here from collecting dog droppings to motor vehicle licenses to driving ability means the carnage will continue UNTIL we change our attitudes.

You know what pisses me off. Handing down a R1250 fine to a unlicenced driver is as worthless as the paper it's written on. Here you go sir take this fine and go kill someone. I mean whats the point. A fine is not going to stop a unlicenced driver from driving. You want to stop carnage on the road. When a unlicenced driver is caught impound the bloody car!!!! Take the weapon away. And when he does come back to collect his car with his shiny new drivers licence you hit him with one hell of a storage bill. The traffic laws are far to soft in this country.

You know what pisses me off. Handing down a R1250 fine to a unlicenced driver is as worthless as the paper it's written on. Here you go sir take this fine and go kill someone. I mean whats the point. A fine is not going to stop a unlicenced driver from driving. You want to stop carnage on the road. When a unlicenced driver is caught impound the bloody car!!!! Take the weapon away. And when he does come back to collect his car with his shiny new drivers licence you hit him with one hell of a storage bill. The traffic laws are far to soft in this country.

Definitely. Unlicensed drivers should be given community service. If the jails are too full put them on bikes and make them deliver the post on Voortrekker Road. That would be fun to watch.

How sure are you of that?

Sure about which part? - Its worse then I thought. Read the post after my original post

I see in the UK they have mobile crushers at roadblocks, they crush the car on the spot if it does not have its roadworthy and insurance etc. If they did that here we could probably reduce vehicles on the road by around 60% I reckon. But at the end of the day there is no respect for the law. You are free to do what you want here, and if you get caught, well so what, pay a bribe and off you go again!

I see in the UK they have mobile crushers at roadblocks, they crush the car on the spot if it does not have its roadworthy and insurance etc. If they did that here we could probably reduce vehicles on the road by around 60% I reckon. But at the end of the day there is no respect for the law. You are free to do what you want here, and if you get caught, well so what, pay a bribe and off you go again!

What !! no mini busses on the road...how bliss :rolleyes:

It's sad to hear of yet another cyclist killed on SA's roads - just another inconsiderate driver who values the life of a fellow man less than that of his own..... my condolences go out to his family and friends.

I have given up about complaining about unlicensed drivers, unroadworthy vehicles and reckless drivers on SA's roads. SA's justice system is just not geared to combat these crimes - a small fine and off you go. Carry on driving your shack on wheels waiting to cause more damage.

I agree - impound cars that are unroadworthy or being driven by unlicensed drivers. Whoever the car belongs to must also be fined for allowing the driver to drive his car (unless it was stolen).

So true, thats how stupid our Metro police are? They should be locked up, car impounded and have the book thrown at them. The car only released after a hefty fine, Its strange when the government can get massive revenue from it, but dont follow it up - Taxi have one set of laws, another for the rest of us :angry: How do taxis keep getting away with it

They need to also introduce MOT for vehicles every year/or two years to get all the unroadworthy vehicles/taxis off the road - Taxis should be every year, and they need to start paying tax as well on all their earnings :angry: