Defective cassette or chain

Teardrop

I recently serviced my bike and replaced the chain and cassette. The chain keeps on slipping only on the 12 gear of the cassette. I have already had my bike back x3 so that they can "fix" the slipping chain!

Can it be that the cassette is defective or that the chain is defective?

OR

Just poor service on the part of the bike shop?

Please help with advice!

I recently serviced my bike and replaced the chain and cassette. ...

Very, very unlikely that the chain or cassette is defective.

More likely that something is out of adjustment, or possibly the derailleur hanger is bent, so that the rear der is not being held perectly straight.

With the pervious chain and cassette it was working perfect

Hey Teardrop.

Have the same problem, took my bike for a small service last week, they replaced my chain and within 1km my chaim was also slipping.

Took it back to my lbs to sort out, its day 3 and still havent heard anything. Will let you know what they say about my bike

HAd the same problem. Replaced the chain and cassette and had endlis slips. Took it back to the shop a couple of tmes for adjustments and the like. Finally I found that the the one of the cassette rings was slighlty out and was not straight. The shop replaced it and never had a problem a again

Hey Teardrop,

Im hardly a pro but check your chain for stiff links that could caus it to slip.

Sounds like its the cassette though, I had the same problem, changed the cassette and now its perfect.

Thats poor service for sure!

I recently serviced my bike and replaced the chain and cassette. The chain keeps on slipping only on the 12 gear of the cassette. I have already had my bike back x3 so that they can "fix" the slipping chain!

OR

Just poor service on the part of the bike shop?

Please help with advice!

Which exactly is 12th gear? Do you mean the 12 tooth gear? Is it the last gear on the cassette?

If so the problem is the limiting screw on the derailleur not the chain/cassette. The limiting screw stops the chain coming off to outside of the cassette and lodging itse;f between the cassette and frame.

If you set the screw in too much though it makes the last gear jump and if you turn it in enough it'll stop the chain going in to the last gear at all...

The fix (I hope its Shimano - cos thats the stuff I'm familiar with):

When you stand behind the bike the limit screw for the outside of the derailleur is the one that is lower and to the right.

If you turn it anticlockwise the deraileur will be allowed to go further outwards which should fix your problem.

Don't turn it too much or it'll come off the outside and cause loads of damage.

The idea is to turn the wheel using the pedals and turn the screw anticlockwise a quarter turn at a time until the grinding/shifting noise stops. You can also check visually that the derailleur and last gear are in line vertically.

I hope that helps.

Thanx, will give the advice through to the bike shop. It is the 12 tooth gear smallest on the cassette

What?

Dude - all yoou need is a screw driver and a bit of savvy - you can sort it yourself in under a minute.

Failing that every Shimano product ever made has a tech sheet on the Shimano website - download and fix. I trust myself way more than a bike shop mechanic - you should too.

I do my own services and adjustments on my bike and have found that if a chain purely slips, it usually has nothing to do with adjustment or limit screws. its usually a miss match between the chain and cassette (defective chain or cassette, brand new or not).

I do my own services and adjustments on my bike and have found that if a chain purely slips, it usually has nothing to do with adjustment or limit screws. its usually a miss match between the chain and cassette (defective chain or cassette, brand new or not).

Chains and cassettes are quite tolerant in my opinion. I've changed chains without cassettes and cassettes without chains and had no issues - I run a variety of wheels on a variety of bikes and have no skipping problems.

I'd say the first issue is always cable tension - the second is limit screws.

Once those two are right you should have no issues whatsoever.

Every cyclist should be able to set cable tension and limit screws - it's a no brainer...

I doubt the LBS would have looked passed the limiting screw idea, if so then stay away from them or insist on a senior mechanic :)

i'm with eldron here - if it's only slipping on the smallest cog it's 9/10 times the limit screw. and it's a really easy fix - prob only a quarter turn out. cheers

I fully agree and have also never had any problems with changing cassettes and chains and running different wheels etc. accept once, where the combo just didn't want to work. Set-up was perfect, cable tension, limit stops, no running noise due to adjustment being out but the slip was always there when getting out of the saddle! Replaced the cassette and problem instantly disappeared.

I think its very rare but does sometimes happen!