The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Did the Junior Argus yesterday...warning CUTENESS OVERLOAD!

I know it's been around for a while, but being my first time I was bowled over by how kiddie focussed it was. They think of everything to make it the most exciting event for tiny tots. From blinging up your bike(gratis), to random mascots wandering the park, to magician shows. Really great to be a part of it.

We got our times mixed up. have never been that early on a startline (figured we could go get a coffee and come back later - Henry was bleak that he couldn't go back to the front and squeezed his way to about mid pack for the start).

post-1830-0-24112400-1488787205_thumb.jpg

obviously the whole aim of the day is participation (my older one took her time), but some kids have this ingrained uber competitive streak(my little one was so keen on overtaking he ran into the photographer). it was pretty rad to see the super energised kids in the 4-5 cat as most of them are on pedal bikes, and plenty of parents were battling to keep up on foot!

(theme was superheros, hence the cape)

post-1830-0-85702800-1488787308_thumb.jpg

I know they moved it here for the first time, seemed to work quite nicely and half the fences and gazebos are now up for FRWC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cc02da18c5a508c34416f1a8e4c75481.jpg

I know this is technically walking with kids. But I am jumping the gun.

Struggled to get my girl to sleep, ended up walking a couple of blocks and ended up on the Southeys Vines MTB track. Had to take a chicken run or two and the inside lines on the berms.

But a sleeping baby is all that mattered.

I'm going to try my best at raising this girl to be fearless.

Edited by PhilipV

Did the Junior Argus yesterday...warning CUTENESS OVERLOAD!

I know it's been around for a while, but being my first time I was bowled over by how kiddie focussed it was. They think of everything to make it the most exciting event for tiny tots. From blinging up your bike(gratis), to random mascots wandering the park, to magician shows. Really great to be a part of it.

We got our times mixed up. have never been that early on a startline (figured we could go get a coffee and come back later - Henry was bleak that he couldn't go back to the front and squeezed his way to about mid pack for the start).

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_080934.jpg

obviously the whole aim of the day is participation (my older one took her time), but some kids have this ingrained uber competitive streak(my little one was so keen on overtaking he ran into the photographer). it was pretty rad to see the super energised kids in the 4-5 cat as most of them are on pedal bikes, and plenty of parents were battling to keep up on foot!

(theme was superheros, hence the cape)

attachicon.gifjunior argus.jpg

I know they moved it here for the first time, seemed to work quite nicely and half the fences and gazebos are now up for FRWC

my eldest did his 10th and the youngest on his 4th....always a great event!

iBert is from around 10 or 12 months to probably 4 years or a maximum of 17kgs carrying capacity, minimum age stipulated as from when they can hold their heads and a helmet up without risk of neck injury. I've been using mine "gently" and avoiding bumps around the neighbourhood since 8 months but nowhere offroad yet, I will get to that soon. Takes a little bit to get used to but easy to ride with, you can't stand on the pedals though and I'm sure you could reach your bottle quite easily. The kid loves being able to see where you are going and the interaction, the downside it they are directly in the wind so use you judgement when it looks cold.

Hi Tyga. I am looking for a seat like this. I am also in stellenbosch. Any advice?

Hi Tyga. I am looking for a seat like this. I am also in stellenbosch. Any advice?

Hi Varkie,I have one. Gooi PM and we can talk. I work in Stellenbosch.

Where did you find the small helmets? My little one is well, very little. So her head is in proportion to her body but we cannot find any lids that fit her.

We even looked at Makro who had a xx-small but it was just to big for now.

Where did you find the small helmets? My little one is well, very little. So her head is in proportion to her body but we cannot find any lids that fit her.

We even looked at Makro who had a xx-small but it was just to big for now.

Try find a Bell dealer. Got my eldest helmet at Cajees in Fourways when he was 18 months. His little brother just started using it and he is very small. At 21 months he only weighs 10kg's

post-2696-0-71510500-1489608173_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-56699400-1489608172_thumb.jpg

it is only training if you have on your pink gumboots, then you can do the "look Dad, my feet are off the pedals" move. Only to ask Dad to explain the laws of physics .... "Dad, why does the bike keep going if you stop pedaling" :wacko:

post-2696-0-90275000-1489608390_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-99430000-1489608391_thumb.jpg

At Southeys bike park, Somerset West.

It is a great place for the kids to have a ride.

Thanks PhilipV for the reminder to post the pics.

Oh Yes, a big up for Bell Kiddie lids. Worth every cent.

WOW ! many memories captured in this thread !!

Here is the journey with our godson, Maritz :

14 days old when we bought his first "bike"

post-110956-0-84319300-1490726018_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-44218000-1490726030_thumb.jpg

18 months old he got his first electric car - with extra remote control .. so he could drive, while we could intervene from a distance .. remote was packed away a few days later.  Served him WELL for more than 3 years, then he became too heavy for the little electric motor.  Now passed down to a friend.

post-110956-0-77885500-1490726141_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-71743100-1490726157_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-01878500-1490726174_thumb.jpg

off course the black bike was a big part of his growing years ... and darned if you can get rid of it ... :)

post-110956-0-16438800-1490726225_thumb.jpg

At about 2 years old he got this "trap-kar" ... now he could steer and peddal ...

post-110956-0-71017000-1490726275_thumb.jpg

The next project was a very nice one ... I built him an "off road" trap kar from scratch, and he HELPED in the garage.

post-110956-0-97813800-1490726343_thumb.jpg

The small bike with side wheels never got much use.  He would be running between the black bike and the peddal cars ....  But eventually he did start using it, and I grabbed the opportunity to take him to Hazendal ...

post-110956-0-75612100-1490726434_thumb.jpg

He actually surprized me on that first outing ....

post-110956-0-60808900-1490726469_thumb.jpg

They are so fearless and ready for the next step, long before we are ....

That very afternoon his dad talked me into stripping the little bike down.  Removed the pedals and chain and turned it into a balance bike.  AND we then bought him a 20'' bike .... so as soon as he could ride it we would go back to Hazendal .... what a nice carrot ....

Truth be told I had some serious doubts - he was on the tall side for a 16'', but with the 20'' he had to wear shoes for the toes to touch the ground ....  But as always they take to these things faster than we ever expect.  The next Saturday we were on the lawn next to Chris Willemse Cycles - so the falls wont be as hard .... ag-nee wat, think he fell once.  

post-110956-0-69599800-1490726839_thumb.jpg

The next weekend we were back at Hazendal and he was GOING.  Actually had to stop him and explain that he needs to slow down on the downhill sections .....

Last weekend we went to Meerendal .... pics in next post

here are some pics of our last ride at Meerendal 

post-110956-0-08445700-1490727156_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-87675600-1490727171_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-36353600-1490727186_thumb.jpg

The coming weekend will be another ride, and then 8 April our first "event" ride ...

16'' to 20'' ....

We learnt an interesting lesson about bike dimensions with this .... if the bar between the handles and the seat is "horizontal" it makes for a "tall" bike.

We ended up buying a bike where the line from the handle bars were almost a straight line past the seat to the rear wheel - giving a very low seat position.

Having tested about 10 different brands there were only two that had this very low seating position - and only one GREEN one ... :)