The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Thanks Ben .... seems we are thinking along the same lines ... and ending at the same questions ...  :whistling:   :blink:

Do you think Earl Woods let Tiger enjoy golf from the age of 3? Hell no, winners learn how to win from as young as possible!

FyjFN.jpg

front of the bunch

best equipment money can buy,

WADA never visits these races, use horse steroids if you need to

get your mental game on point, kids can be mean so be the meanest

fake birth certificates if you need to sandbag race categories

mechanical doping is still new, but we'll soon have kits for kid's bikes

if none of this works, sabotage opponents' bikes kids will never work it out

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think Earl Woods let Tiger enjoy golf from the age of 3? Hell no, winners learn how to win from as young as possible!

FyjFN.jpg

front of the bunch

Could have bought him nicer kit.

I see in Spain there is a race series where you race with your youngster in like a TTT vibe. So drafting skills play a roll, no pushing though!

FyjFN.jpg

front of the bunch

Hehehe ....  :devil:

You can ALMOST remove the comic font though .....  :whistling:

7 year olds racing in FULL Spez kit ....

Primary school kids, about 12 year old on FULL carbon MTB, with upgraded shocks !

and then you get the odd youngster on a single speed BMX looking bike keeping the Spez kids honost .... 

Jis daai tone kort n service. Het jy n anker op hom laat val of lyk hy maar so? Lekke plan daai PhilipV!

Bradda, daai is my mooi voet. Jy moet my ander regter voet sien. O weë liewe Heksie...

Stepping up to slightly bigger jumps. This is at Eduplex. He cleared the first 3 jumps on the small jumpline but I only recorded when he cleared the first one. Kid has some balls for a 6 yr old. It took me a while before I attempted the tabletop.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.pretorius1/videos/10156698327309462/?notif_id=1540740659380889&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

so after reading all 48 pages of this thread I got a star seat yesterday.

did a quick test fit yesterday, which resulted in some tears when I took her off the bike.

hopefully I can find a small enough helmet for her before the weekend (I got one but it's way too big)

45153145_10156118449563212_4536332964702

so after reading all 48 pages of this thread I got a star seat yesterday.

did a quick test fit yesterday, which resulted in some tears when I took her off the bike.

hopefully I can find a small enough helmet for her before the weekend (I got one but it's way too big)

45153145_10156118449563212_4536332964702

Luuks.

Fanie, she needs to wear shoes.

We found dead the spez helmets best for babyface. Their kid's range is small enough and the webbing at the back tightens properly. I don't skimp on my own helmets, so I wont skimp on hers.

I also got one and I'm having trouble getting my 2 year old on it. He loves his push bike and riding together in the driveway but wants nothing to do with getting on the star seat. I'm hoping soon he'll warm up to it. I got a sportsman's warehouse helmet that actually seems pretty decent quality and the tightening dial works nicely.

Luuks.

Fanie, she needs to wear shoes.

We found dead the spez helmets best for babyface. Their kid's range is small enough and the webbing at the back tightens properly. I don't skimp on my own helmets, so I wont skimp on hers.

thanks, I'm just concerned about sizing as we don't have a local spaz dealer to fit one before I buy.

don't worry she'll be properly dressed when we go for a decent ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Some buying advice please.

I have a BIG 4 and a half year old... He is about 110cm tall, weighs 25kg and has an inseam of 56cm.

He is very good on his balance bike, but I would like to upgrade him to a pedal bike. 

From a confidence perspective, I have been thinking of getting him a 16inch bike... lighter, easier to handle.

But...pretty soon, I think he may outgrow it... in which case he will need a bigger bike. He's pretty much on the cusp of already needing a 20inch bike. But I noticed that 20inchers are more suited to 8 year olds and probably those that have had a few years experience on a pedal bike...

So, option a:

Buy him a cheapie 16inch (900 bucks makro special), let him learn on it for 6 months and then buy him a better 20 inch bike

option b: buy a good 16inch and allow him to ride a 'small' bike for a few years

option c: get him straight onto a decent 20 inch bike, and take the risk that he will learn without training wheels... I've heard that training wheels are a bad idea for kids that have already learnt on a balance bike anyway

If South Africa stocked decent 18inch bikes I would go for that... but I have searched online and that doesnt seem popular at all...

Byron the TOTEM range from MAkro is perfect for the little ones .... cheap enough that you wont mind it when they outgrow it in 12 to 18 months ....

Once they start jumping ... get something stronger though ....

With the TITAN range you will pay a bit more, but can sell it again, if it is looked after ....  Thus far the "cost of ownership has been okay with Maritz's bikes !!  YES, he outgrows it quick enough, but because he takes care of it, and it is serviced regularly, we can sell it and get about 50% of our money back towards the next bike .....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a balance bike for my 2yr old. I have seen Strider recommended on here and by friends. 

Here's the problem: The website is outdated (even showing security issues) and all bikes are out-of-stock. The facebook, twitter, etc are all closed down and the support number on the website isn't being answered. On the website no dealers are listed.

Are they still operating? Are there any known dealers?

Alternatively, what are the best recommendations for a balance bike. I've seen Muna, FirstBike, Chillafish, Cruzee...