The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

ok, so project is moving slowly.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-01-03 at 19.22.18.jpeg

have decided on a layout and colours.

started sanding it all down and realised most of it was just being painted over.

original idea is to use the base blue paint, but the new rustoleum looks way better!

currently a bit stalled as i need to find stencils for the lettering (ie. stickers of text). proving harder than i thought.

any good ideas for where to find stick on letters that i can paint over and then remove later?

i know you can get a full vinyl cut effort but this is not a huge job.

will see how it ends up.

the painting is done!

now just need to build it up.

post-1830-0-36105200-1579603172_thumb.jpg

all takes a bit longer than expected, but I guess once you do it again you know the tricks. Putting the masking tape on is something that can be done whilst watching cricket. Each layer can be done in the time it takes the Proteas to lose 4 wickets, which is not as long as it actually seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okee dokee, so here is my how hard can it be to repaint a kid's bike project?

this is now the third time i've sprayed one of their bikes, it does start getting a bit easier.

I'm not a perfectionist, and I don't think they are too discerning so i kind of just rush through it.

let's start with the original bike, a 16" Muna Sparkle that needed a bit of TLC.

in retrospect it is a moer heavy steel bike and probably not the best option out there once you start putting time into it. I know cheap/light/strong pick 2, but do wonder why these bikes need to be so damn bullet proof

post-1830-0-96241900-1580823741_thumb.jpg

then you need to get the parts shot of it exploded

this is also a really good time to check over everything, clean regrease and hopefully remember how to put back.

post-1830-0-26569200-1580823768_thumb.jpg

now with all decals offpost-1830-0-89447600-1580823782_thumb.jpg

get the masking tape and letters ready

that's my daughter's nickname, i use stickers i got from crazy store, required me to cut them out with scissors - was a major mission

post-1830-0-78253100-1580823797_thumb.jpg

used rustoleum spray paint, with 2/3 coats of paint and then 2/3 coats of clear over it.

not cheap paint (about R150 per can) - so used the same pink from a previous project.

post-1830-0-71364000-1580823831_thumb.jpg

and she's happy!

post-1830-0-92630700-1580823873_thumb.jpg

18 months later and the boy on the right is now on her bike as she has one with gears and shocks - excellent find on the hub!

he doesn't mind having a pink bike, but it's not his name so time to update this beast. he chose a name for it, and in my mind i thought of going martini racing colours using the blue background.

a bit of broken telephone later and we got lumo orange whiich i thought would still be cool. 

back to where we started..this is a major service too of course

post-1830-0-48734600-1580824295_thumb.jpg

took a photo to use as template for the "design"

post-1830-0-52722200-1580824313_thumb.jpg

got to be outside sanding, then after relaising that is was basically stripping all the paint off just chose to mainly paint more over the pink bits

post-1830-0-33682800-1580824375_thumb.jpg

this spray technique (is it called stencilling?) requires masking tape etc to be stuck down, and then all bits not sprayed need to be covered, hence the newspaper everywhere. i'm sure there's a much quicker way to do this.

post-1830-0-89214900-1580824469_thumb.jpg

the black base coat which will be the backgorund to the detail

post-1830-0-48930000-1580824502_thumb.jpg

time for stickers. i had to look for these a bit, and even considered going "custom vinyl". instead i found pretty decent sticker sets at Merrypack in pinelands.

post-1830-0-99404400-1580824518_thumb.jpg

my spray booth in the garage

post-1830-0-93385400-1580824569_thumb.jpg

the athlete inspecting the product during the process.

he chose the name because the bike will be going FAST in a forest. I don't see what the point in putting the bike manufacturer's name back on a customised bike, but it's what most people seem to do.

post-1830-0-26491100-1580824963_thumb.jpg

and we're done.

found a red singlespeed chain that i got for my fixie that has been liberated. also got avid single digit 3 vBrakes out my bikebox. whilst full adult brakes i can at least adjust the reach much better and they really really work compared to the stock crappystoppy it comes with. also needed a new saddle, and found some lockon grips that i never used on a different bike.

post-1830-0-79805700-1580824741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shebeen

Hi. I need some help  please. 

Bought  the eldest a new bicycle.  

The 20 inch tires (20x1.75) that came with  the bike is really crappy.

AND 

For some reason I seem to have bought the only 20 inch MTB bike in existence  with rims that take presta valves , but the core can not screw out.

ALL my local bike shops (including the one who sold be bike) is of no help. 

SO 

Any shop in Cape-Town  area or online shop that stock.  

1.) Some decent fold-able  (possibly tubeless ready) MTB tires 20x2.2 or something. 

2.) And  20 inch presta valve tubes with  removable valve core. 

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Hi. I need some help  please. 

Bought  the eldest a new bicycle.  

The 20 inch tires (20x1.75) that came with  the bike is really crappy.

AND 

For some reason I seem to have bought the only 20 inch MTB bike in existence  with rims that take presta valves , but the core can not screw out.

ALL my local bike shops (including the one who sold be bike) is of no help. 

SO 

Any shop in Cape-Town  area or online shop that stock.  

1.) Some decent fold-able  (possibly tubeless ready) MTB tires 20x2.2 or something. 

2.) And  20 inch presta valve tubes with  removable valve core. 

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. 

what's the bike?

drill holes for schrader valves

what's the bike?

This MOMSEN JSL 20

drill holes for schrader valves

I am contemplating that, but trying to keep is as last resort. 

The "duwweltjis" is ensuring I'm patching tubes after every ride.  :cursing:

2019-JSL20-SIDE-1.png

Edited by IH8MUD

2019-JSL20-SIDE-1.png

ja, no that is a rubbish bike. i'll take it off your hands!!

(can't help there, i'd get hold of momsen directly, they seem to be on the ball)

2019-JSL20-SIDE-1.png

remove the valve-core, add 150 to 200ml of Sludge/Stans....

it WORKS  :thumbup:

18 months later and the boy on the right is now on her bike as she has one with gears and shocks - excellent find on the hub!

he doesn't mind having a pink bike, but it's not his name so time to update this beast. he chose a name for it, and in my mind i thought of going martini racing colours using the blue background.

a bit of broken telephone later and we got lumo orange whiich i thought would still be cool. 

back to where we started..this is a major service too of course

attachicon.gif7_version2 split up.jpg

took a photo to use as template for the "design"

attachicon.gif8_the template.jpg

got to be outside sanding, then after relaising that is was basically stripping all the paint off just chose to mainly paint more over the pink bits

attachicon.gif9_ready to paint.jpg

this spray technique (is it called stencilling?) requires masking tape etc to be stuck down, and then all bits not sprayed need to be covered, hence the newspaper everywhere. i'm sure there's a much quicker way to do this.

attachicon.gifa_covered up.jpg

the black base coat which will be the backgorund to the detail

attachicon.gifb_black base.jpg

time for stickers. i had to look for these a bit, and even considered going "custom vinyl". instead i found pretty decent sticker sets at Merrypack in pinelands.

attachicon.gifc_sticker time.jpg

my spray booth in the garage

attachicon.gifd_the spray booth.jpg

the athlete inspecting the product during the process.

he chose the name because the bike will be going FAST in a forest. I don't see what the point in putting the bike manufacturer's name back on a customised bike, but it's what most people seem to do.

attachicon.gife_inspection time.jpg

and we're done.

found a red singlespeed chain that i got for my fixie that has been liberated. also got avid single digit 3 vBrakes out my bikebox. whilst full adult brakes i can at least adjust the reach much better and they really really work compared to the stock crappystoppy it comes with. also needed a new saddle, and found some lockon grips that i never used on a different bike.

attachicon.giff_lets ride.jpg

Awesome, The red chain completes it really well.

remove the valve-core, add 150 to 200ml of Sludge/Stans....

it WORKS  :thumbup:

Thanks. 

Yip.

I have checked on YouTube how to get slime in presta tubes with non-removable valve cores. 

Was just hoping to be able to buy the right tube. I just like it to have right. 

Not always a fan of my back-yard hacks like drilling the valve hole, making a hole in the tube to add slime or other similar things. 

I like hacks if they get me home, but mostly my hacks fail and strand me far from home.  

Edited by IH8MUD

Thanks. 

Yip.

I have checked on YouTube how to get slime in presta tubes with non-removable valve cores. 

Was just hoping to be able to buy the right tube. I just like it to have right. 

Not always a fan of my back-yard hacks like drilling the valve hole, making a hole in the tube to add slime or other similar things. 

I like hacks if they get me home, but mostly my hacks fail and strand me far from home.  

I have used this setup often.  Syringe into the valve, fill the syringe, then insert the plunger and squirt all the sealant into the tube.  It litterally takes 1 or 2 minutes per tire.

post-110956-0-69219500-1581347383_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-01931500-1581347402_thumb.jpg

I bought this at Evobikes -

post-110956-0-83012000-1581347352_thumb.jpg

It works better on the small tires, as the tube allows you to get the syringe out of the rim.

I have used this setup often.  Syringe into the valve, fill the syringe, then insert the plunger and squirt all the sealant into the tube.  It litterally takes 1 or 2 minutes per tire.

attachicon.gifTubeless-3.jpg

attachicon.gifTubeless-5.jpg

I bought this at Evobikes -

attachicon.gif20190628_210949.jpg

It works better on the small tires, as the tube allows you to get the syringe out of the rim.

I do that with my wheels, but I can remove the core of the valve.

On this kids bicycle the valve core can not be removed. 

So  I assumed it would not work. 

Do you manage  get it filled with the valve core  in place? 

Thanks. 

Edited by IH8MUD

I do that with my wheels, but I can remove the core of the valve.

But I assumed it would not work on this tubes as the valve core can not  be removed. 

Do you manage  get it filled with the valve core  in place? 

Thanks. 

You do get tubes where the valve-cores can be removed, even in 20'' and 24''  :thumbup:

I have a few spare tubes where the valve core cant be removed .... absolutely worthless for kids bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

what no JUNIOR ARGUS talk here yet?!

have moved to fishhoek and now this pumptrack is down our road.

post-1830-0-12497900-1583222083_thumb.jpg

it's the one at kommetjie/sunvalley intersection near all the sports fields.

thought it had been let go, but someone is basically keeping it going - anyone know who looks after it, and how can we help?

what no JUNIOR ARGUS talk here yet?!

have moved to fishhoek and now this pumptrack is down our road.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200229_095736.jpg

it's the one at kommetjie/sunvalley intersection near all the sports fields.

thought it had been let go, but someone is basically keeping it going - anyone know who looks after it, and how can we help?

I need to mission out there one day, I've seen it before but also thought it was no more....