The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Got the older one an MTB today.

Thats the next bike for my son. He is close to the end of his 20 inch but am worried the 24 is a big jump for him...still he doesn’t have much longer left . The 20’ momsen is a brilliant bike. Nice and light he climbs like a champ .

Today we rode to Rietvlei and back. He gets so excited when we go ride it’s all we hear about for the next 24hrs, especially when he conquers something new. Today was the climb up next to the school in one go . But he was humbled today by trying to take the ramp at Rietvlei behind just cycles and went otb. Was a good lesson for him not to get to big headed, he was embarrassed. He fell a few other times as well just as a reminder ...still grinning like a Cheshire cat though .

So stoked he shares my love for cycling .

post-51529-0-81658800-1593200302_thumb.png

post-51529-0-90050400-1593200312_thumb.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always loved the progress in both my boys as they went from 20” to 24” to 26” and finally both onto 29’ers. Now, anything under 90 minutes of riding and I’m not holding back on any pace.

Miss SA and all the MTB trails at our disposal 365 days a year. Enjoy the time with your kids. You blink, and they’ve grown up!!

Thats the next bike for my son. He is close to the end of his 20 inch but am worried the 24 is a big jump for him...still he doesn’t have much longer left . The 20’ momsen is a brilliant bike. Nice and light he climbs like a champ .

Today we rode to Rietvlei and back. He gets so excited when we go ride it’s all we hear about for the next 24hrs, especially when he conquers something new. Today was the climb up next to the school in one go . But he was humbled today by trying to take the ramp at Rietvlei behind just cycles and went otb. Was a good lesson for him not to get to big headed, he was embarrassed. He fell a few other times as well just as a reminder ...still grinning like a Cheshire cat though .

He'll probably hit Rietvlei for the first time this weekend with his BMX coach. We got the MTB for endurance training and with the Momsen they literally had me sold at "tubeless".

If you've ever been around the BMX tracks in SA  you'd know how many punctures we have to fix in a week. And the BMX tracks are still closed waiting on BMXSA and CSA to give the directive.

How old is he? My 10yo daughter has been on a 24” for 18 months now, and she’s shorter than average for her age.

How old is he? My 10yo daughter has been on a 24” for 18 months now, and she’s shorter than average for her age.

He’s 8 1/2..he’s probably slightly shorter than avg. Think he said he is the 2nd shortest boy in his class .

Morning all, anyone know where in the Cape I can go ride with my kids (10, 1.5) at the moment to get out of the house for a couple of hours... Koeberg closed, green point par closed etc... thanks for sharing your riding areas!

Morning all, anyone know where in the Cape I can go ride with my kids (10, 1.5) at the moment to get out of the house for a couple of hours... Koeberg closed, green point par closed etc... thanks for sharing your riding areas!

Bloemendal is perfect for kids, of all ages.  They now are open for day visitors.  https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/

Hazendal is aimed at kids only ....

Having a real struggle to get my boy a helmet that fits. Originally got the twins matching Bontrager helmets, had to return his as his head was too big. Got another one that fits but it keeps slipping onto the back of his head. Got him a very nice Spez helmet, which fits but now the straps are too short.

Having a real struggle to get my boy a helmet that fits. Originally got the twins matching Bontrager helmets, had to return his as his head was too big. Got another one that fits but it keeps slipping onto the back of his head. Got him a very nice Spez helmet, which fits but now the straps are too short.

We need to move from balance bikes to pedal bikes now for the twins  :o

This is getting expensive  :D

This is getting expensive  :D

It's just the start and I am not even talking about bikes ..….  :D

I have always had good experiences with Bell and Uvex junior helmets.

Scott has very nice kids helmets.