The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

For the older one (7) Im currently getting a Mercer 24" bike custom build. Dave is building the frame and Im getting all the parts together (which is worth a thread all on its own ;-) )

Hope to have this running in the next 2 months. 

The higher end brands like Scott, Merida has absolutely no stock, thats actually why we going the custom route. 

Please start a thread or show some pictures.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How tall are they?

What is the weight of those 16" Munn bikes?

I'm thinking of skipping 14" for my little one too, she's only 2.5 now but going comfortably on her balance bike and she's quite tall for her age.

Not sure if this bike is still available, but very nice. Had a look at it last year before it was for sale. (Bought a Momsen JSL16 from Dori.) Was looking for a reason to buy the Norco, but I don't need it. Weighed about 8kg. Light and looks like great build quality for a 16". Can always change the bar to a flat bar if needed.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/kids-bikes/449951/norco-16-in-great-condition

• 2 weeks later...

Trails were extra busy today ....

After weeks of wind and more wind, we had an absolutely perfect Saturday morning.

SO good to see the space people afford parents with kids on the trails.  :thumbup:

post-110956-0-84723000-1613227958_thumb.jpg

On the way home I saw MANY more families heading to the trails ....  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

post-110956-0-22139400-1613227995_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this shot on the Holla trails FB page, and laughed so hard internally I'm probably going to hell. Such an awesome ride with the whole family, but i'm pretty sure the kid in the trailer didn't agree as much

Came across this shot on the Holla trails FB page, and laughed so hard internally I'm probably going to hell. Such an awesome ride with the whole family, but i'm pretty sure the kid in the trailer didn't agree as much

post-156308-0-76232700-1614070550_thumb.jpg

Any suggestion on shoes (tekkies) for a 12 year old that just started cycling. He's riding mostly pump tracks, shorter trails and I'm looking to get him a pair of shoes that's a bit more grippier than his current pair.

Any suggestion on shoes (tekkies) for a 12 year old that just started cycling. He's riding mostly pump tracks, shorter trails and I'm looking to get him a pair of shoes that's a bit more grippier than his current pair.

I ended up buying "skate board" shoes for Maritz.

Will check the brand at home ....

It has a flat sole, with a wavy pattern, and just soft enough for the studs to bite into.

Daddy's been watching ...

Thanks ChrisF, will be great if you can check the brand and let me know. Don't want to buy to anything to cheap that will only last a few rides (or falls) but also don't want to break the bank.

I ended up buying "skate board" shoes for Maritz.

Will check the brand at home ....

It has a flat sole, with a wavy pattern, and just soft enough for the studs to bite into.

Rudii it is PUMA shoes.

His previous par was also PUMA.  He outgrew it, but managed about 500km in that period, on Giant flat pedals.  The soles were still in decent condition.

Think the new set cost about R700.  Not exactly cheap, BUT, it works very well on some nice technical single trails.  

What a gem ha ha. Danny's got skills!

I love watching his behind the scenes videos ....

WOW !! some serious dedication to get his videos done.

The cheaper Vans Authentic. Great for little ones. Also check out the similar style DC from Boardriders. Gonna cost between R300-R500 depending on the shop and specials. My kids race BMX and a pair lasts them a whole season.

post-42431-0-94751500-1614518969_thumb.jpeg

Edited by l4y3rcake

• 4 months later...