The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

On 9/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, Pikey said:

I have 2 tubeless 24 inch tyres to give away.  Was going to chuck them but if someone can use them drop me a message . 

12FFDCEC-1C85-490C-AFED-042B94569B36.jpeg

DC469620-6984-4ACD-A25C-E5FFAC5BB81F.jpeg

F20C3B92-5CF7-4C21-A46D-D67F0E72FA63.jpeg

I'll take them if still available please...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some advice please.

So the twins have outgrown their Feva Starseats. Although they can ride their own pedal bikes, the 16'' bikes are still a little too big for them, stopping and starting needs some assistance from a parent.

I have managed to get my hands on a Giant Halfwheeler (stick together bike - as my son calls it), but the clamp seems a bit big for my seatpost. I can see the metal on metal movement ruining my nice Thompson post. 

Would wrapping an old tube around the post help? (and is it advised?)

• 1 year later...

Finally persuaded my boy to come ride ride on the trails with me...

We did the green loop (7km) at Hemel & Aarde... He wasn't happy at first - having only ridden on the road he didn't cope well with the bumps. Uphills were "Impossible!", downhills were "Are you insane dad? I'm not riding down there, I'll kill myself!" But, towards the end, he started getting some of the techniques I was trying to teach him right and grew in confidence and it ended well... 

Two days later, he was asking to go again and was sure he could cope with the Blue loop, but I suggested we just do the Green again. But what a difference!  He was putting his head down and pushed up the climbs and got up way more than I expected, he was standing as soon as he saw any rough terrain and glided down most of the downhill stuff. Real 'heart full of pride' stuff for dad as I watched him pushing to get up the climbs!

Until... on a small downhill before one of the bridges, he lost control, feet came off the pedals and he swerved off the track... and straight into a tree stump, came to a dead stop and went over the handlebars, connecting his nads and his shin when he did... 😬 And that was it, he couldn't continue and we had to phone mum to come pick him up!  But later that afternoon he was riding his bike up and down the street with the neighbourhood kids telling them about his adventure... 😄  

20230104_152251-01.jpeg.bbfc97e5bafaf2250dfe2aa8c10bbd5b.jpeg

The last 3 days of Holiday Kittel decided that he wanted to come ride at 5:30am and not with the kids later. So we got to ride from Wilderness up to Map of Africa.

Amazing coffee shop called Hallo Coffee. 

Managed the 30km loop not too badly.

Help needed - Need some 26" tubeless gravel tyres or just 26" gravel tyres and some deep section presta tubes. 

Also he needs a new helmet - ideas? Titan racing looks decent.

Really, really enjoyed the rides. Just 2 local douchebag drivers on the road in Wilderness.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.03 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.02 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.00 AM.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

The last 3 days of Holiday Kittel decided that he wanted to come ride at 5:30am and not with the kids later. So we got to ride from Wilderness up to Map of Africa.

Amazing coffee shop called Hallo Coffee. 

Managed the 30km loop not too badly.

Help needed - Need some 26" tubeless gravel tyres or just 26" gravel tyres and some deep section presta tubes. 

Also he needs a new helmet - ideas? Titan racing looks decent.

Really, really enjoyed the rides. Just 2 local douchebag drivers on the road in Wilderness.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.03 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.02 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 10.31.00 AM.jpeg

hope he has the SPD version

The Valcko SPD Crocs are Next Level - BIKEPACKING.com

16 hours ago, 'Dale said:

It’s matter of time before I get dropped.

It’s already a designated drag race for the final km home (Jonah’s idea, of course) 

12437F51-7053-47B6-9BDB-4B99269CAE8B.jpeg

Its not fair when they weigh 28kg and mine is a closely guarded secret. 

I am going to get dropped on the hills soon!

• 2 months later...

I promised my son I'd take him to the Constantia Uitsig Bike Park on Saturday as my wife and daughter were out the whole day and we were home having a 'boys day'...  Then I realised my wife had gone in the car with the towbar that can take the bike rack. 🤦‍♂️ But he's dead keen, so I ask him if he's up for riding to the Bike Park and he says yes. And its raining... and he's OK with that too. So we head out in the rain and to be honest I wasn't sure it was going to work. But he put his head down and slogged up Kendal Road and up and down along Spaanchemat. And then the sun came out and we ended up having a lekker time...  

20230325_130316.jpg.de7d637832181ad3411671cdc1f02525.jpg

He was pretty tired by the end though... But had his first taste of Energade 😄

20230325_133055.jpg.40e383d7febf985201ef0e2bac7950ba.jpg

On 8/26/2021 at 10:43 AM, Shebeen said:

looking for some advice here.

both my kids are a little bit short for their age, but.

8yr daughter is on a Spez 20inch/6yr son on a muna16inch

they both ride the 20inch now, but son is way more into cycling so it's a good bike for him. he wants to go smashing bikepark and do ramps.

I need to find something simple for her. She doesn't even bother with gears anyway and it's more just school and back/shops etc. My thinking is a 24 inch cruiser type bike would be easy to use.

where would i find a bike like this?

Two young girls ride bikes home from school in the Netherlands, safely on the cycle path, away from motor vehicles.

could have a 1x8 or be ss?

closest i can see is avalanche alphaone, but it's so similiar to their mtb types i might as well get the alu version. https://avalanchebicycles.co.za/junior-2021/#

Alphaone_24_Mint-Purple_01_960x593.jpg

I can really, strongly, recommend the Calypso range from Titan - my kiddo (8) has the 26" - she is a proper little ripper on it (once the obligatory whingeing is over at the beginning of the ride). And she moved from a BMX to this bike without missing a beat.

What's cool about this range is that it has a 24" frame but nice size 26" wheels - so they really get moving very easily. The bike is pretty light as well and the low stand-over height is brilliant. Tektro brakes, LTwoo gears, decent tyres, kickstand. 

I think you get a lot of value for +/- R7k brand new. 

My kiddo is growing really fast but I reckon she'll get a good 3-4 years out of this bike (she got it in September last year).

• 4 weeks later...

Specialized 20" bike.

It's done some proper miles and trails.

I've never touched the fork because it seems like a fools errand, but the seals are riding up and gunk is coming up.

Worth cleaning out?

It's a Suntour fork so not total Ching Chong, but at this level it hardly ever did suspension anyway like we know it on a big bike

IMG_20230420_183947_6.jpg

Edited by Shebeen

22 hours ago, Theunissa said:

Schreder tubeless valves. 

IMG-20230426-WA0242.jpg

Cool! Where did you find those?