Heart rate monitor

sicknick

Hey Guys and Girls

Im looking to get a heart rate monitor. Whats the best one to get. Should i get something like the Garmin 500 800 or should i get a Polar Watch. I know the price diff but whats better for MTB riding??

Thanks for the help :)

Agree with L2climb - go Suunto. Had a T6 for going on 8 years now, have also run a T4 and tried / currently run a number of the pods.

Being able to change my own batteries, unlike Polar, was a big factor in my purchasing decision, as was EPOC and TE. The software for the T6 was developed by these guys.... "Suunto t6 utilizes the results of physiological research conducted by the Finnish KIHU - Research Institute for Olympic Sports..."

http://www.firstbeat.fi/index.php?page=2&sub_page=15&news_id=24

Sport Science in Cape Town chooses Suunto (they bought their own - not a sponsorship)

I have been using a CS400 for 3 years on a MTB. Changed the battery myself after 2 years. Any decent watch shop will be able to change the battery. Very easy to down load info onto your computre and the CS400 has a huge data capacity that means you dont have to down load after every ride.

You can change the batteries on newer Polars yourself.

Sicknick, what do you want to use the HR monitor for and what features do you want?

Do you want to measure speed, cadence, altitude etc. in addition to HR?

Do you want to be able to download entire workouts to your PC?

Do you want to be able to wear it like a wristwatch?

Do you want to train with a power meter?

Do you want to use it for interval training? What kind of intervals - simple or complex?

Do you want to track where you've been?

Do you want to plan where you can go?

What's the longest you're likely to go without access to a power point (plug, car charger etc.)? Without access to computer?

Speaking from personal experience

Have replaced my Suunto T4 hr strap twice and currently broken again. Menus and functionality are illogical and buttons snag on clothes etc. to easily. Good only for spinning IMO.

Have had polar CS 600 for almost 2 years. Fantastic trouble free unit and good service from agents.great memory and great for downloading training calender with route profiles and comprehensive hr info. Use it on mtb with speed only and roadbike with speed and cadence. I find the Protrainer calender is a great motivational tool.

Just my 2c-I have a Polar 725x the Mrs has a Suunto T4C. I cannot make sense of hers, Polar is more user friendly. Also if u go to Helsinki and travel from the Airport you see Suunto and Polar is in the same office park-weird huh?

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the help. I am more looking for something that i can train with and also monitor my training process. Something like tracking my average speed and heart rate on a trail and trying to better it. I don't really think the GPS is so necessary but would be cool to plot rides. I'm pretty new to the whole serious MTB thing so sorry if i sound like an amateur. :blink: I can tell you about MX bikes though.

I will have a look at your guys recommendations and try make up my mind :)

Been to Helsinki a few times and haven't noticed it. Will have a look next time I'm there. ;)

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the help. I am more looking for something that i can train with and also monitor my training process. Something like tracking my average speed and heart rate on a trail and trying to better it. I don't really think the GPS is so necessary but would be cool to plot rides. I'm pretty new to the whole serious MTB thing so sorry if i sound like an amateur. :blink: I can tell you about MX bikes though.

I will have a look at your guys recommendations and try make up my mind :)

Been to Helsinki a few times and haven't noticed it. Will have a look next time I'm there. ;)

Have a look at the Garmin Forerunner 60 with the GSC10 cadence/speed sensor.

It will allow you to record detailed data for speed (and distance), cadence and HR which you can then upload to your PC for in depth analysis. The advantage of recoding the detailed data is that, rather than seeing just what your average HR etc. was for the whole ride (as with the cheaper Polars), you can also analyse how it varied minute to minute within the ride.

The FR 60 also has the option of buying a footpod that you can use to record running speed and distance.

Cape Union Mart currently have the Forerunner 60 with HRM for R1,200 and the bundle with the footpod for R1,600. You can by the GSC10 for around R600 from Kalahari.net.

Here's a review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/02/garmin-fr60-review-in-depth.html

Had a look at all your suggestions. Not really looking for the watch type. I cant run :( . Rather something like a bike comp. like the forerunner functions. thinking of the edge 500?

suunto's new range the m5 is brilliant and the m4. and they are new models never snagged clothes never broke a chest belt. I wore polar for 5 years, they weren't all that great and I found them confusing. and over priced.

• 2 weeks later...

sicknick are you the Freestyle Moto X guy?

Yea thats me. Riding a bit of MTB for training and also to do something a little different for a change. Got myself the Garmin 500 after all. Thanks for the Help guys :)