Training on Tubbies

Bike Mob

Since no-one wants to buy my bonty XXX lite wheels I was considering training on them.

Does anyone else train on their tubbies year round?

I can get some bulletproof tires at about R250 so it's no more expensive then a clincher tire. and I save on tubes!

In JHB, i know 2-3 guys that ride Tubbies permanently. Sat & Sun rides we normally in the road, they stay in the left tyre line so very little dirt. Think both ride with slime and in about a year (they must avg 400km/week), i've only seen 1 guy replace a tubby and it wasn't even 1 of the 2 i know that ride regularly :o

If you training solo in the shoulder, might be a bit more glass etc, not sure what CPT is like? Issue is the 2nd puncture more than the 1st ;)

I train the same roads over and over and I am cautious where I ride. I have only had 2 flats in the year and both could have been fixed with some Stans in the tubby. I ave 250km per week. Some harder wearing tubbies and sealant should be fine I reckon.

Shouldn't be an issue then since you know the roads, realistically look at how many guys have punctures in general, mostly due to old tyres?

I've had a nail go thru my tyre and lodge in my rim, nothing's gonna stop that? So 1 puncture in a year for me (touch wood!)

Just seems like a lus to ride with a tubby?