Small 29er advice

Rubel

My girlfried is 164cm tall and is considering a full suspension Trek/Gary Fisher 29er (small)as her next bike. She likes the idea of the 29er as it rolls over obstacles more easily and carries better momentum. She currently rides a Womens Specific Specialized Era 26er in size small.

Do you think the 29er will work for her or will the various advantages of a 29er over a 26er by cancelled out by the compromised geometry of the small frame?

Was considering the same for my wife...I think the problem is going to be accelerating the bigger wheels, unless you get some really light ones.

If you're selling the Era Frame let me know

Would be good for her to go and ride one. They do handle a bit differently than the 26er and one has to get used to it. The advantages of the 29er will still remain as majority of the benefits are actually in the wheels.

The Trek Team Riders, Willow Koerber and Heather Irminger, swear by their 29ers and they are tiny ladies.

You might even consider an 29er HT for her since she is small and the larger tires at a lower pressure would give adequate "suspension".

As Tarmac said, the big factor will be accelaration, which some ladies might find hard, but since she is looking at an expensive bike she probably has enough moola for fast & light wheels as well. Best advice is to ride before you buy.

From my experience - you need to be quite a strong rider for a 29er. While it does roll nicely, I still think a 26er is better for people who pedal with a higher cadence. It also depends on the riding you are going to be doing - horses for courses...