Chain cleaning Johan Bornman vs Bicycling

Jaco Steyn

So who is right? On Tuesday's Supercycling Johan showed us how to completely remove the chain and soak it in degreaser to clean the chain. However, on page 60 of the July 2007 Bicycling magazine  about "12 Cycling truths" it states "Clean your chain by taking it off your bike and soaking it in degreaser. False.  When you submerge a chain in cleaner, you're slowly leaching the lubricant out of its pins, which is exactly where you want it to be. Once it's gone, it's all but impossible to get lube back into those tiny crannies. Instead of soaking, use a stiff brush and bicycle-specific degreaser, such as Park Tool's Cyclone Chain cleaner (R332; Bowman's, parktool.com), and towel-dry the chain before lubing. Before applying degreaser, remove your rear wheel, because degreaser can creep past the free-hub seals and ruin the hub. Unless a chain is filthy, just lube it rather than clean it first - modern lubes help force grit out of drive-train parts as they lubricate, says component-maker SRAM's Michael Zellman. (That's why all that junk is on your rag after you lube an already 'clean' chain.) In fact, you never need to remove a chain from a bike, except to replace it. So the question is, who do I believe?

steynja2007-09-13 04:27:04

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using Johans method now for a few years and it works for me !!!! I will not put a new chain onto my bike before it has been degreased and re-oiled by me !!!

A campag chain should never be broken (i.e. removed from the bike) - i use the ParkTool chain cleaner with some KleenGreen, wash the chain with some water, dry it with a towel and then lube it with wax lubricant. I use this procedure about once a week or every two weeks depending on how often I ride (usually 4-5 rides per week). Works like a charm.

I listen to neither... remove my chain and soak it in diesel, clean, re-lube (weekly). I've been know to get ungodly distances on a chain & cluster LOL

What's the best way to clean a cassette ?

Take off bike, dump in engine cleaner.  Maklik ne.

I can see why LittleBen does all the bike mechanic stuff!!!  You can't even read my comment.  Take off bike!!!  Take the CLUSTER off the bike part it's attached to...

Ai ai ai, oom.

Dunno but it was pink' date='does that help? Probably not![/quote']

No way!Wink 

Johan - please tell all!

We all have ways that we believe works.....still use the toothbrush + Kleen Green method on chain (on the bike), spray the sprocket with the Kleen Green.  Allow 10 minutes, then rinse with water, dry, clean with cloth, re-lube, wipe off excess.  Have done this for years, get around 10 000k's per road chain.  Present MTB chain has done about 3 000 k's, still OK.

HomerSimpson2007-09-13 05:31:10