Cycling SA, what the flip were you thinking???

DB28

While I can see you have a genuine desire to see improvement (as I'm sure we all do), you're obviously quite new to this sport, which means you won't know what the administration of cycling has been through over the past couple of decades. It's a long involved story which I don't have the time to tell. But what I can tell you is that the progress made in road cycling recently in terms of elite racing success is on a sharp upward curve, which is fantastic! There's a way to go still, but the process has been put in place and is beginning to reap rewards. Carla Swart finished 10th at Elite Road World's today. Never, has a South African finished in the top 10 at Road World's.

There's a 2020 strategy in place, which got quite a bit of media coverage a couple of months back. The details are here: http://www.cyclingsa...cle.aspx?uid=68

I've been a cyclist/mtb for 15 years, although ten of those I was living in London. So only not clued up on the administration stuff thats all, It just seems like its always a good excuse to me to blame it on admin. Rather then playing the blame game, lets see what actions are taking place now. So from what Im gathering is that cycling administration in SA has been a bit of a shambles?

I would again like to know whats going on from an outsiders point of view as such, as I have a good friend that could become a very good road cyclist, yet all Ive heard are stories of mismanagment and disorganisation. So for the two years Ive been back in SA, Ive not heard many good reports about CSA.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain things for me, and hopefully it will clarify a few things. ;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another form of cycling called mountain biking. They use fat wheels. It seems that the authorities in cycling sometimes wish them away, or forget that they exists. One of the guys that was at the worlds this yr had to pay something like R15000 to ensure that he can take part.

My question is: if a guy or girls does not have a dad/mom with a fat cheque book/bank account, should they rather stay at home?

Should CyclingSA not perhaps have a stake in major events (not just the fatcats organising it) to get money, to send riders overseas? Perhaps we must get Malema on our side to "Nationalize" cycling events (hehehe)

Cheer up guys, one of our girls atleast got tenth place in the ladies race ! (Swart is the surname)

Oh and the mtb WC is back in PMB next year and I saw on twitter we won the bid to host he 2011 mtb world champs (marathon I guess, if this is true )

[Hi Guys, I am following this thread with interest - and I support the idea of toy-toying with our cards and burning them. I would GLADLY burn mine with the rest - IF I HAD IT. Started cycling again in Oct. last year after 15 yr lay-off. In July I was convinced to "do the right thing" and paid my fees. Got a reply advising my card etc would be with me in 7 - 10 days. After 2 months of frustration and bullshite, I STILL don't have it. Their system is stoopid. They send it to someone in PE, (not me, who paid for it, mind you)and it went AWOL. I worte them & told them they suck. No more. Next year, if I feel like doing an event, I will just wait 100m down the road from the start and join in. Seems they are too busy doing "something" for themselves.]

There is another form of cycling called mountain biking. They use fat wheels. It seems that the authorities in cycling sometimes wish them away, or forget that they exists. One of the guys that was at the worlds this yr had to pay something like R15000 to ensure that he can take part.

My question is: if a guy or girls does not have a dad/mom with a fat cheque book/bank account, should they rather stay at home?

Should CyclingSA not perhaps have a stake in major events (not just the fatcats organising it) to get money, to send riders overseas? Perhaps we must get Malema on our side to "Nationalize" cycling events (hehehe)

Well said - is CSA only interested in road cycling and its development, maybe its should to seperate entities - like RCSA & MTBSA. Also the development of underprivilaged people in the sport - There is that thread about being dropped by guys on old crapped out bikes while youre riding your 60 grand machine. we need to develop those guys not the rich kids whose daddies think their child will be good cause he rides a fancy bike and can afford to send him to all the training camps.

Its funny how we all know that " Black Africans" are fantastic at endurance sports, yet there are so few involved in the sport cause they get priced out by the eliteism of road cycling. Just my 2C

got bored reading everyones post but surely unless you're a full time european based rider with reults there's no point in going to world champs.....its not likes its 1996 and we send riders for the novelty of riding for the national team.....

Its funny how we all know that " Black Africans" are fantastic at endurance sports, yet there are so few involved in THE sport cause they get priced out by the eliteism of road cycling. Just my 2C

Take this comment as it comes.

Most of them are super runners, but to be a top cyclist takes a different kind of endurance.

There are quite a few guys being looked after, why aren't they in the international arena, quite simply the reason that once you get there your colour isn't enough, you simply have to perform and results is what everyone wants, you can't develop someone for the next 10 years at great expenditure without results.

Look at the TDF, notice any other "development" riders from across the globe ????????

Watch the City series of marathons and notice who rules the roost, nothing to do with elitism, but capability, I use this word as when it comes to money it becomes a job and you need capable people to perform a certain task.

As for your friend who "could be good" I have said it before and I will say it again, you don't need to be "potentially" good, you need to be really good and excel on our local platform, once you get "over there" it's ruthless, extremely ruthless.

Wont take 20 years, I have a day job and cant do this till I retire. a Few Years ago we had one rider in the top echelon, next year we will have 6 in pro tour or pro continental, racing worlds type distances every week. 2 Years ago we had no international women, next year our top 2 will race for UCI women teams based in Europe. Ashley Moolman is as strong as Carla, a year ago her bike handling was dodgy, this year, after 6 months in Europe, got top 20 in Women Giro d Italia.

Often people forget that you do the job without any recognition, I will have to guess that it's thankless and that a lot of hard work goes unnoticed.

I think we potentially have a bigger criminal than an admin issue and that is called government, where is our funding from our dear parliament for lesser sports such as cycling ?????

My guess, they don't give a shawshank as they simply are way to blindfolded to realise what ambassador work can be done through athletes and for their country, just turn to the Aussies for a great example. (IMHO)

Let's be super grateful that we have superb ambassadors such as Chris Froome (now a brit, but my old mate from Midrand), Burry Stander, Greg Minnaar, John Lee, Darryl Impey, Dan Hugo, Conrad Stoltz and the list goes on and on.

If we don't have the capacity from sponsorship, then the government needs to step in,and until they spread some of the soccer, cricket rugby and whatever other sport money a little more across the board, we will be sitting with the same problem till eternity, it's all about the .............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sheeesh, my fingers are sore now and my eyes are square.

Well said - is CSA only interested in road cycling and its development, maybe its should to seperate entities - like RCSA & MTBSA. Also the development of underprivilaged people in the sport - There is that thread about being dropped by guys on old crapped out bikes while youre riding your 60 grand machine. we need to develop those guys not the rich kids whose daddies think their child will be good cause he rides a fancy bike and can afford to send him to all the training camps.

Its funny how we all know that " Black Africans" are fantastic at endurance sports, yet there are so few involved in the sport cause they get priced out by the eliteism of road cycling. Just my 2C

You need to understand that CSA has different divisions. There is a division that looks after cycling development and a different division that looks after each of road, MTB, Track, BMX and Cyclists with disabilities. Each has their own goals because each discipline/category has its own challenges/characteristics.

How about volunteering your skills and knowledge (almost all the CSA administrators are volunteers) to make a difference where you think they're not performing. Or at least get involved with this at club level and set an example of what can be achieved. Administrating a sport is not easy, it's not usually that much fun and – my pet peeve – compliments are seldom heard/read, while criticism (seldom constructive) comes easily.

And just to put you in the picture, I'm not a cycling administrator and I'm not in any way involved with CSA.

You need to understand that CSA has different divisions. There is a division that looks after cycling development and a different division that looks after each of road, MTB, Track, BMX and Cyclists with disabilities. Each has their own goals because each discipline/category has its own challenges/characteristics.

How about volunteering your skills and knowledge (almost all the CSA administrators are volunteers) to make a difference where you think they're not performing. Or at least get involved with this at club level and set an example of what can be achieved. Administrating a sport is not easy, it's not usually that much fun and – my pet peeve – compliments are seldom heard/read, while criticism (seldom constructive) comes easily.

And just to put you in the picture, I'm not a cycling administrator and I'm not in any way involved with CSA.

Where do I sign up, I would love to be able to get more involved:). Give me the info and I will take you up on this, I do have a full time job, but if I could help out on any level I would. Just point me in the right direction ;)

Take this comment as it comes.

Most of them are super runners, but to be a top cyclist takes a different kind of endurance.

There are quite a few guys being looked after, why aren't they in the international arena, quite simply the reason that once you get there your colour isn't enough, you simply have to perform and results is what everyone wants, you can't develop someone for the next 10 years at great expenditure without results.

Look at the TDF, notice any other "development" riders from across the globe ????????

Watch the City series of marathons and notice who rules the roost, nothing to do with elitism, but capability, I use this word as when it comes to money it becomes a job and you need capable people to perform a certain task.

As for your friend who "could be good" I have said it before and I will say it again, you don't need to be "potentially" good, you need to be really good and excel on our local platform, once you get "over there" it's ruthless, extremely ruthless.

Often people forget that you do the job without any recognition, I will have to guess that it's thankless and that a lot of hard work goes unnoticed.

I think we potentially have a bigger criminal than an admin issue and that is called government, where is our funding from our dear parliament for lesser sports such as cycling ?????

My guess, they don't give a shawshank as they simply are way to blindfolded to realise what ambassador work can be done through athletes and for their country, just turn to the Aussies for a great example. (IMHO)

Let's be super grateful that we have superb ambassadors such as Chris Froome (now a brit, but my old mate from Midrand), Burry Stander, Greg Minnaar, John Lee, Darryl Impey, Dan Hugo, Conrad Stoltz and the list goes on and on.

If we don't have the capacity from sponsorship, then the government needs to step in,and until they spread some of the soccer, cricket rugby and whatever other sport money a little more across the board, we will be sitting with the same problem till eternity, it's all about the .............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sheeesh, my fingers are sore now and my eyes are square.

Surely it wouldnt take 10 years to see if some one has abiltiy, that could take a few months maybe a year minimum. If you dont make the grade then you dont make the cut its simple. Just give more people a chance, and you may just find a few rough diamonds - who knows you may get more government fuding because if it. It should all be about equal oppurtunity. I totally believe that road cycling is an elitetist sport, I believe that 100%. I think people in this country need to get there heads out the sand on a lot of issues regarding sports & development. Thats my last 2c. ;)

Cheer up guys, one of our girls atleast got tenth place in the ladies race ! (Swart is the surname)

Oh and the mtb WC is back in PMB next year and I saw on twitter we won the bid to host he 2011 mtb world champs (marathon I guess, if this is true )

I recall Minnaar was/is chair/rider representative of some world body committee - probably Downhill. It could be of his influence WC - PMB, don´t know of the world champs - don´t twit...

Crack, yes, cycling is an elitist sport. So too is yachting, moto-x, skydiving, rally driving etc. Barriers to entry in these sports are high because of the cost of the equipment. Swimming is not an elitist sport, the barrier to entry is low. They have excellent development programmes in place in South Africa and we're still not there yet with a black Olympic medal hopeful...

Maybe this is where you can get involved. Contact the head of Development at CSA (details are on their website) and ask how you can make a difference.

Crack, yes, cycling is an elitist sport. So too is yachting, moto-x, skydiving, rally driving etc. Barriers to entry in these sports are high because of the cost of the equipment. Swimming is not an elitist sport, the barrier to entry is low. They have excellent development programmes in place in South Africa and we're still not there yet with a black Olympic medal hopeful...

Maybe this is where you can get involved. Contact the head of Development at CSA (details are on their website) and ask how you can make a difference.

There is a Black Swimmer Olympic Hopeful?

Just think its a load of bolloks that it is - Its not what cycling/riding should be about - It was invented for the common man.

Jip, anyone that counts is based in Europe. Its not just about training. Barry Austin uses the 10m runing to ilustrate. In RSA we have 8 riders in an 8 lane track, no corners, nothing technical. In Europe we get 8 in one lane, cobble stones, rain. For example today they had a 75km/h downhill with 2times 90 degree corners followed imediateley by a 15 percent climb. The only way is to race there. A month ago most of our girls couldn't even corner in a big bunch, because its not just about numbers and tests. So this year CSA helped about 25 riders to go and race in Europe. its a very expensive exercise and we're trying to create beter local events that simulates Europe. WE're also promoting our riders to top overseas teams, Carla got signed by HTC, Ashley is going for her 2nd season at Lotto, a local elite signing for a Euro pro conto team. Jennings, van Zyl still based in Euro next year.

I fully understand the importance of our riders needing to be based in europe. Training isn't everything... If you dont race under european conditions you will not make it as a pro cyclist. In our quest (and I say our because I am an avid fan of SA cycling, want as much as any1 in CSA for our riders to be internationally successfull and think of late all the steps that have been taken by CSA have been in the right direction) to get our riders noticed and placed in european teams we may have missed a trick with our u23 boys. The reason I believe this is because firstly, the course this year was not totally unmanageable skill wise for our u23's. The main decent is not that technical, their are no cobbles, no extremely narrow roads. Racing in Aus is as close to racing in SA one could get apart from actually racing in SA when it comes to climate. I understand chris, johan and shaun raced abroad quite alot this year and the nations cups were their 'goal' events. I also know they achieved our best results in the nations cups, which will definitely stand SA cycling in good stead for the upcoming years. I do believe though that after the early season African champs and tour of gabon I think it was, Reinhardt took part in, he was not at his best for the nations cups. Maybe one could put this down 2 rider/management not getting their priorities in order? But the fact is that, to the date, on current form Reinhardt is riding stronger than the other guys again. Could we not have sent our 5 rider team including chris, johan, shaun, reinhardt and whoeva else of u23's to the WC in the hope of not necessarily medalling, but at least getting the boys noticed...(which should be the goal) seeing that the whole pro cycling world is focused on WC at the moment. I mean if just one of our riders got into the customary day's break... That certainly would have got team managers attention around the world. If im totally missing the point then thats okay... But Sean Badenhorst raised the point of constructive criticism in an early post... My intentions are just that.

Willie Engelbrecht - Bronze at commonwealth games road race

JP van Zyl - Kerin medalist

David George - 3rd world U23 TT champs

James Perry - 3rd world U23 TT champs

Unfortunately this was all back in the 90ies and just out of isolation.

These guys new how to train and trained in RSA to race at world level! David George know how to train and choses his race to race in and train to that level. What I am saying is not all riders are the same - so for some maybe been based in Europe is the answer, but for other been trained correctly at home has also worked as well if not better!