Cape Town bike park

_Daemon_

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the same question because there was nothing on the website.

They obviously don't want to say which site they have in mind yet.

Probably because they do not have any plans approved yet.

Personally I do not believe that they will be able to build all that they mention on the website.

Some of it yes, but chair lifts? Doubt if permission will be granted.

A Cape Town bike park will be great though - good luck with it!

Hope they give it a local style rather than trying to mirror Europe or Canada as is shown on the website...

From all that I have read and seen I looks like it is going to be in Jonkers..... Watch this space.

Lets hols thumbs that MTO come to the party.

Some of the photo's on the site do look like Jonkershoek, but then they also have photo's that are definitely not Jonkershoek...

Jonkershoek will be one of the most difficult places to get approval.

More bike trails, down hill course, north shore style tracks etc. is no problem - go ahead. But chalets and chair lifts NO WAY!

That kind of development will meet with fierce opposition from the locals.

Chalets and chair lifts will not fit in with the character of the valley and is not in line with the local IDP.

Cape Nature tried to push for a conference venue in Jonkershoek a few years ago. The public participation meetings were heated to say the least. Fortunately nothing came of it to date. I guess they will try again some time in the future...

If Jonkershoek is indeed the site under consideration, either scale down the plans or spare yourself the trouble and find another site.

You are right Mountain Lion, you just dont stuff around with developments in the mountains, Environmental assessment, visual assessment, ecological issues it is a minefield.

A solution, build a DH course on Table Mountain and allow the use of the Cable Car - woo hoo.

You are right Mountain Lion' date=' you just dont stuff around with developments in the mountains, Environmental assessment, visual assessment, ecological issues it is a minefield.

A solution, build a DH course on Table Mountain and allow the use of the Cable Car - woo hoo.
[/quote']

NAH...build a 2nd DH course on table mountain ;)

Also, from the website it sounds as if they want to add some water-sport activities if I remember correctly?  This would seem to exclude JH.  What about the Grabouw area?