_Daemon_

How come people overseas ride using full face helmets most of the time

and we don't?

Sure XC lid for XC training rides and races....but I am talking about

places such as Logwood etc...etc..

Same reason I guess most mountain bikers in SA wear lycra (I do at XC

events etc.) and not baggies etc. Are we behind the times and catching

up? Or...are we too XC focus?

I have seen two friends crash and go to the hospital cause they face planted, in both cases a full face helmet would have saved them. One was DR, rolling down a steep drop, loosing it and breaking his jaw(was like two years ago) and the other was a friend that took a drop and went over his handlebars face first into the cement(was in a skatepark).

It's only the Americans that's so paranoid. Look at the euro XC scene and there you don't even se FS bikes.

go to most skateparks, and you'll see kids without any helmets on. check the bmx mags. helmets, it seems, are not cool. agree with you about herlmets for some parts of logwood north shore, dark side, but i think for sugarbowl, zombie, etc, it's a bit much, don't you? 

go to most skateparks' date=' and you'll see kids without any helmets on. check the bmx mags. helmets, it seems, are not cool. agree with you about herlmets for some parts of logwood north shore, dark side, but i think for sugarbowl, zombie, etc, it's a bit much, don't you? [/quote']

Sure, for anything except NorthShore and Darkside it's a overkill.....but then.

The two crashes I talk about happened on small stuff...nothing even nearly close to anything on a black route at Logwood.

It's only the Americans that's so paranoid. Look at the euro XC scene and there you don't even se FS bikes.

Sure...but that's XC events. For XC events a FF helmet would be stupid. I am talking about All Mountain riding..whatever that really is....call it light freeriding, just playing around etc.

I think it is something to do with the extreme heat we got here ? smiley36.gif

Dunno about that, Vancouver area in Canada can get upto 38C in the summer.

It depends on whether or not a rider is safety conscious or not.

If I was going to do extreme trials type stuff, I'd wear a full face hemet, but for the type of racing/riding 99% of us do a normal helmet suffices.

............ do we all wear seat belts whenever we get into an automobile - I doubt it?

Sure...but that's XC events. For XC events a FF helmet would be stupid. I am talking about All Mountain riding..whatever that really is....call it light freeriding' date=' just playing around etc.
[/quote']

minty rode whistler without a ffShocked

Dunno about that' date=' Vancouver area in Canada can get upto 38C in the summer.

[/quote']

It does not get that hot here. Maybe in the interior (east of Vancouver, on the other side of the Rockies). On the hottest Whistler day this yr, it could have been 34C.

I always wear my FF for all mtn and DH. I've seen people loose their teeth and break their jaws. Not worth it, IMO, just wear the FF. Same thing with armour, I dont wear armour when riding my XC bike with XC helmet. Anything else, and I wear full Dianese body armour and leg pads. I have enough scratches on my shins to not want to leave the leg pads at home.

MintSauce was the minority at Whiz wearing a XC lid.

If you are doing a jump and bail while 2m in the air, I think you'll want all the padding you can get. Same with hitting a tree, the tree always wins.

no helmet, no ride!