Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprocket and Jack in Randburg offered to order me one so I’m sure other bike shops can get one if needed.

I have read the same on the interwebs. Wonder how much more it would be.

Would be nice to fit something proper, other than the heavy 100mm I have on now..

Hey guys. I’m still on the look out for a 29 suspension fork with a straight steerer if anyone has one they want to sell.

What frame do you have?

Isn’t the Inbred more 80-100mm? Found on mine a 490mm rigid fork the front end felt tall. Sucked really as it was a sweet carbon one, ended up running a rigid steel fork. I’d lean towards 80mm if I wanted a boinger front end... Just saying. 

I have read the same on the interwebs. Wonder how much more it would be.

Would be nice to fit something proper, other than the heavy 100mm I have on now..

I was after a RS Recon. I think it was around 5k or so. Can’t remember.

Inbred is designed for 80 to 100mm as you said.

Will 20mm (120mm fork) really make such a difference in handling?

That's not a ridiculous price tho. (depending on local add-ons) Could prolly get it shipped to my mate in the states for him to pass on.

20mm of travel only adds up to 15mm with sag.

80mm = 60mm

100mm = 75mm

120mm = 90mm

Just saying on my Inbred - just felt wrong with a 490mm fork. 

nope..used to run my inbred with a 100mm fork

Ah. I swear someone here has had a 120 on it. Or maybe I’m imagining things which is not impossible.

I still think  the cleanest solution on a vertical drop out bike is to run a guide / tensioner at the crank. Nice and clean, easy to get the rear wheel off and amazingly adds very little resistance to the drive train ... that v crank would spin freely like nobody's business.

If you do not have ISG tabs on your frame, but use an external BB, you do get adapters that fit between the frame and BB that accept an ISG mounted guide.

p5pb17221231.jpg

p5pb17221223.jpg

I had a roller and chainguide on my Bigwig, but once I put an oval chain ring on it didn't work so well, so I used a rear Rapide tensioner as well (A bit belt and braces I know). Worked really well to retain the chain on our really bad gravel roads.

post-2975-0-21161700-1567521654_thumb.jpg

Surely you would need to adjust for chain stretch etc. which means loosening cranks and hub to adjust? Just seems like it could be a fiddly setup.

Its very easy to re-tension the chain, loosen the bolts a touch, twist the plate and tighten, no need to remove cranks.

Hey guys. I’m still on the look out for a 29 suspension fork with a straight steerer if anyone has one they want to sell.

Hens Teeth.

Also worried about when my current shock finally bombs out...

I'm also looking, apparently there is a guy in PE, who machines a straight steerer with a collar, presses out the tapered steerer and presses in the new, straight steerer.  Will try to get his details.