Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hairy yes i do. Close to the Spar.

I am near to Elkhana high. One can spot the Garden Cities paint Colour, wall plaster derails and paving if you know what you're looking for.

Are your build parts complete, or do you still need goodies?

Hypothetically - Where would one locally source a Surly KM frame these days?

Maybe from Sprocket and Jack? I got my KM fork from them long ago.

• 1 month later...

118652301_10163853390370104_545607182888

I finally have a picture that does my bike justice. Still a work in progress. This thing is begging for a dropper. Then a new fork, then bigger wheels (currently its 26er wheels and fork on a 27.5 frame). But its already an absolute ripper. It descends like its on rails. Love it to bits. One of these days I'll get a chain guide style tensioner for it to clean up the look. Also the chain slap from the spring loaded tensioner bugs me. Anyway. This is my steed.

• 2 weeks later...

118652301_10163853390370104_545607182888

I finally have a picture that does my bike justice. Still a work in progress. This thing is begging for a dropper. Then a new fork, then bigger wheels (currently its 26er wheels and fork on a 27.5 frame). But its already an absolute ripper. It descends like its on rails. Love it to bits. One of these days I'll get a chain guide style tensioner for it to clean up the look. Also the chain slap from the spring loaded tensioner bugs me. Anyway. This is my steed.

does the rapide tensioners have that play in them that the old on-one doofers had that they (rapide) sold back in 2015? trying to finish up a SS klunker but this fricken tensioner is driving me insane. it has just enough slack at the mounting bolt/spring business for it to pull the chainline off slightly at the jocky wheel. annoying AF

can anybody who knows confirm? is the Rapide branded one solid with no slop?

does the rapide tensioners have that play in them that the old on-one doofers had that they (rapide) sold back in 2015? trying to finish up a SS klunker but this fricken tensioner is driving me insane. it has just enough slack at the mounting bolt/spring business for it to pull the chainline off slightly at the jocky wheel. annoying AF

can anybody who knows confirm? is the Rapide branded one solid with no slop?

Mine has been solid , altough I tension the hell out of it 

I also swapped the basic bitch pulley for A sram NW one with a bearing 

hasn't given me DaY OF TROUBLE SO FAR 

Mine has been solid , altough I tension the hell out of it 

I also swapped the basic bitch pulley for A sram NW one with a bearing 

hasn't given me DaY OF TROUBLE SO FAR 

thanks...just spoke to the guys at rapide and ordered a new one. they said I still have the old one and the new one is way better :thumbup:

thanks...just spoke to the guys at rapide and ordered a new one. they said I still have the old one and the new one is way better :thumbup:

I have an old rapide Tensioner. rattly AF.

I solved it by putting a washer in to act as a spacer between the tensioning arm and the bolt.

You pull the circlip on the inside, pull the bolt out, insert washer, carefully put the spring back. Ride on in silence.

Well relative silence, the wheel is a bit too noisy for my liking. Will replace that next. Thanks BaGearA.

Like so.

1d1b5541e12198dd1d57cd9153027b2a.jpg

I have an old rapide Tensioner. rattly AF.

I solved it by putting a washer in to act as a spacer between the tensioning arm and the bolt.

You pull the circlip on the inside, pull the bolt out, insert washer, carefully put the spring back. Ride on in silence.

Well relative silence, the wheel is a bit too noisy for my liking. Will replace that next. Thanks BaGearA.

Like so.

yup this is the exact POS i have. its horrible. it basically has enough play in it to derail the chain if the chain line is off imo lol, not to mention when it pulls it so skew that it skips a tooth under load every now and then....yeah. NO.

I pondered opening it up and doing exactly this, it is obvious where the flaw is in this design...but then i saw the new version costs so little and is apparently way better so I just got the thing. Funny, i didn't want to spend money on this old bike so took the gears off because the cables were too short to reach by how much I had to stretch the large frame. But look....now I already spent more on just the fn tensioner haha....and its still only SS. anyway, just want to ride it. Not buying a new bike.