Tubeless Tyre Fix....DIY Style

MintSauce

Went for a ride in Tokai on Sunday. Halfway through the ride I noticed my rear tyre was deflating and the Stan's wasn't sealing the hole.

Was NOT impressed. Hate fitting a tube into that mess. The funny thing is I had read BigBen's post last week regarding the repair kits and was planning on getting one but didn't get to a bikeshop before the weekend.

So....I decided to try something. Couldn't find any string or material in my Camelbak that might do the trick.

Then SARA offered me her hair elastic. It was obviously too long so I cut it on a sharp rock and then inserted it into the hole using my multitool.

Rode for over an hour and the tyre is still inflated.

Thank you, Thank you*takes a bow* WinkBig%20smile

Here's a pic....looks crap but will get the real thing and replace it this week

20070918_032717_0005patched.jpg

haha, nice one Minty! also slashe dmy tyre this weekend, actually had the plugs in my Camelbak but was to lazy to do it proper so had to stop a few times and re-inflate the tyreEmbarrassed

Not too elegant but damn that's good thinking! You could win something in one of the mags with a 'tip of the week' for that I'm sure.

haha' date=' nice one Minty! also slashe dmy tyre this weekend, actually had the plugs in my Camelbak but was to lazy to do it proper so had to stop a few times and re-inflate the tyreEmbarrassed[/quote']

And you didn't even offer to give me one - you watched me put a tube in all that gunk!!!

Going to have a look at the hole tonight and see if it can be repaired, otherwise it is another R300 for a new tyre.

ag it was just so much more fun watching you Velouria hahaha, but really, I thought you slashed it on the side wall, would it have helped there?? Tyres are so damn expensive, it's like buying car tyres..Ouch

A true MTb'er !!!! Like BB said send it in for tip of the month !

Thanks DR....that's a real compliment coming from you Wink

C'mon Minty' date=' you just wanted an excuse to get SARA to let her hair down Wink.

[/quote']

I'm innocent....I was too busy enjoying riding behind her to think of that 20070918_042918_ihih.gif

ag it was just so much more fun watching you Velouria hahaha' date=' but really, I thought you slashed it on the side wall, would it have helped there?? Tyres are so damn expensive, it's like buying car tyres..Ouch[/quote']

for a sidewall slash, try those park tool tyre boots, but you may have to put a tube in as well.

also, you can bodge this with a piece of thickish cardboard.
holy roller2007-09-18 04:50:32