mcquaid gives in

Tumbleweed

"PARIS (AFP) ? World cycling chief Pat McQuaid is ready to give in to demands by organisers of cycling's three three-week Tours who want out of the Pro Tour calendar of races.

And the International Cycling Union (UCI) president said that major changes could be made to the Pro Tour race series as early as next year."

full story:

Pro Tour=dead

I wonder if we will have a mini repeat of the UCI v ASO spat here in SA?  Maybe the PPA (and the three majour races?!) will pull an ASO on CSA and go it alone?  It seems all the rage...
Willehond2007-09-20 00:14:30

Now wait for the fun to start. UCI will book Protour races for the same time as the big tour effectively taking the Protour teams out of the tour?s. LOL<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think the Pro-tour has been lingering on and just delaying the inevitable - a slow death.

Yes, you are right Ox Wagon, the UCI could book alternative races, like they threatened to do with the Vuelta, but I think when it comes to the Giro and the TDF the funding, country pride and prestige of these two events especially would ensure all sponsors will demand their teams ride these events.

......but it could be interesting.Big%20smile

Would the big races here (94.7, Argus, Hyper to Hyper etc) ever opt out and go it alone, (ie) No temp license / any license required for recreational riders, throw the option open to the pro teams, ride if you like / can / want to - its up to you etc.......................I dont know, I think they could do it if they wanted to, funding is not an issue, nor is promotional ability, I think they will still get their numbers of participants which is what matters in the long run - so Yes, they could go it alone, perhaps if red tape sees riders opting out of events they may - who knows?  

widget2007-09-20 05:16:00