Crankbrothers Cobalt wheelset

_Daemon_

Cant say they are pretty, particularly that copper colour, but look strong, very strange spoke arangement. do you know how much they weigh?

Cant say they are pretty' date=' particularly that copper colour, but look strong, very strange spoke arangement. do you know how much they weigh?[/quote']

This is what I know so far:

wheelsets -

- yes, they're light. the cobalt cross-country version is similar in weight to xtr or the mavic crossmax slr. as they are not final yet, we cannot and will not give you final weights. but, they are quite light.

- the design has no holes in the rim. this allows us to maximize the strength and stiffness without having to beef up material where the spokes pass through the rim. we have been able to optimize the material in his way.

- the spokes are mirrors of each other. to our knowledge, this has not been done before on bikes or motorcycles. this means that for 24 spokes, we only have 12 points of attachment. it's much better to pull down on the same exact spot that to pull down on 2 separate areas of the rim.

- the hubs are beautifully, overbuilt, components. we use a 6-pall hub body with 3 pall engaging concurrently.

- visual appeal - they are quite striking to behold as you may see from the pictures.

- assembly - although the components will be made in asia, they will be hand-built in laguna beach california, right under the noses of the designers.

- qr skewers - they will include a special, proprietary-designed qr skewer that splits in half to create a 2-stage open/close mechanism that effectively divides the load from one hard push to 2 easier pushes. we have industrially-designed these qr's to be elegant and functional.

how much?

no pricing yet as the wheels will only be ready in January 2008.

don't spend all of your Xmas bonus , I expect they will priced for  "non-cost sensitive" consumer

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...