Trigger vs Gripsshifts

Rietrot

What is the pros en cons of triggershifter vs gripshifters?

Gripshifters are lighter but difficult to use in muddy terrain as your hands tend to slip.

I switched over to grips some time ago, never had a problem with slippage in mud or rain.

Grips change much faster and you are not limited to one gear change at a time - you can go from 1 to 9 or visa versa in one move.

The micro adjust on the front is also brilliant, no more chain rub.

I know either the X-7 or the X-9 grips become slippery in the wet though, so go X-0 if you go.

I love my gripshifts.

The only problem is it looks like Sram are phasing them out. You can not get 2x10 gripshifters and it looks like Sram will not be making them.

Had Triggers and changed to twist. Wont change back because:

[*]Find it shifts quicker than pushing the triggers

[*]If you crash it is less stuff that can break

[*]Less crowded cockpit

[*]Limited wear and tear

[*]Doesnt get all gunked up and dirty

Twisters are great but that's what I am used to. Any official word if/why Twisters not coming for 10 speed? They are not on the 2011 product line up along with 10 speeds X0, X9 etc

Read somewhere that SRAM will be introducing a 2x10 gripshift on the request of Julian Absolom. He prefers them to triggers.

So they will probably debut in the 2011 XC World Cup Season and be available for mere mortals end 2011 or early 2012.

But it's all just rumors currently.

all these positive remarks about gripshifters makes me think twice now while upgrading.. shot guys :thumbup:

Rode with gripshifts for years. Changed back to triggers about 5 years ago and somehow found it just so much more intuitive - you know shifting up or down without thinking even after 8 hours on the bike....so my advice would be to test ride a friend's bike first and make a call on your preference before changing...

oh and for me: SRAM all the way when it comes to triggers

If they so flippen good, why didn't shimano ever bother, surely not patent issues?

I got burned by some el cheapos on my giant rincon way back(the days before squishy forks) and have always been happy on triggers since. But I'm open minded, so if the twisters can explain why 95% of mtbs have 'inferior' shifters I'm all ears.

The micro adjust on the front is also brilliant, no more chain rub.

Strange, but a lot of people have noted this as a plus, but for me this was the only negative.

I find that with triggers, even when tired or working hard, I can give one click and drop from big to middle chain ring. Shifting was predictable.

With grips (because there is now indexing on the front) I found that under pressure, I sometimes made bad shifts and overshifted on to small when intending to only go to middle.

So for me, it didn't work and I went back to triggers (X-0) which work perfectly again. If they do 2x10 and I go there at some stage, i may go back to grip shifts as the problem won't exist for me

Grips change much faster and you are not limited to one gear change at a time - you can go from 1 to 9 or visa versa in one move.

Agreed :thumbup: