Why is longer better?

Seandmerida96

Just a thought.

Why is longer better?

Why does everyone put more emphasis on longer races in MTB. Its like saying, in running terms, that Paula Radcliff is better than Usain Bolt, just cos she runs further. Personally I much prefer the shorter MTB races. I am competative and do far better in them. I do them not because I cant ride 70/80 or even 100kms, have done Hill2Hill in the past, But because I prefer riding them. I always have to put up with chirps like its the kiddies race etc. Sometimes wish the chirpers would ride against the top junior men etc and see how far they get! All I want to know is why is longer better?

longer is not always better apparently it is technique that counts or so my wife says.sorry i am just in a good mood today.as for the rest of your question ride what you like as long as you ride.

I think its a South African thing. If you look at road running, people only think of you as a runner if you have done Comrades. If you are a great 10km runner and compete in your age group, you are not seen as being a real runner...The same applies to MTB, and road for that matter. I heard the discussion around the Amashova last weekend when people say they are doing the shorter one, the question is "Why". That is why stage races are becoming so popular...its hard core.

It isnt better, some of my buddies only do short races and i cant keep up.

But the longer the race becomes the more dedicated you have to be to the details of MTBing. Pedal efficiency becomes a major issue, tire pressures matter, nutrition is a deal maker or breaker.

In other words all the facets of mtb-ing become important where the short races you can throw away Joe Friels training bible and just hammer it (well sort off).

It depends on what you like, some people love the wam-bam-thank-you-mam way of racing, but most okes chatting on cycling forums for 6days non-stop about the pros and cons of latex based tubless sealant tend to enjoy the technicalities of the longer rides.

And thats it.

I think it depends on the goals you set for yourself. Like Racingsnail said, the londer stuff are more hardcore. We want to do the " Karoo to Coast" next year, so obviously longer races are the order of the day. You race against others, but most of the times it;s against yourself. In the shorter races its more to beat your best time/average speed and in the longer ones to complete it while still being able to breathe and walk afterwards!

Why does everyone put more emphasis on longer races in MTB. Its like saying, in running terms, that Paula Radcliff is better than Usain Bolt, just cos she runs further.

This is of course a false statement ;)

Scott Jurek and Catra Corbett are both better than the two mentioned :D

longer doesn't = better

I always say that your main priority when cycling is enjoying yourself.

If you've got sufficient time on your hands for training then longer races are doable. Most of us are juggling family and work with cycling and the pressure of trying to get 15 hours of training per week is enough to make you hate your bike.

We South African's seem to have an affinity for marathon or ultra long distance events - I think it's just part of our dna. I've lived all over the world and it's only here where I've seen such an emphasis on these long distance and/or multi day events for the average person.

For people who enjoy riding single track and the more technical side of MTB, the middle distances are often much more fun. They mostly have the same single track as the marathons but exclude the long boring gravel roads that often serves no purpose other than to make up distance for the ego-guys.

The answer lies in the above posts, but here's my view.

I usually also do the shorter races. I like it, because it can also get hard core. You give it almost all out for 1h30min. Your legs, lungs and everything feels like it's going to burst and it's very competitive, depending on the race.

Then the next day, I'm ready for an easy ride again and don't have to rest that long. Also the not time for training thing comes to mind.

But then dna kicks in, and I'm still going to do karoo2coast, transbaviaans etc. to prove to myself that I can.

I have done a lot of marathons and a handful of ultra marathons. I still have to find a race that can give me the same level of enjoyment a XC race gives me. Give me 6 laps on a tight 6.5km course and the grin on my face will last for days. Having said this I have to add that I really enjoy the whole weekend outing/camping we do with most marathons. Hanging out with like-minded people is just great.

Just a thought.

Why is longer better?

Why does everyone put more emphasis on longer races in MTB. Its like saying, in running terms, that Paula Radcliff is better than Usain Bolt, just cos she runs further. Personally I much prefer the shorter MTB races. I am competative and do far better in them. I do them not because I cant ride 70/80 or even 100kms, have done Hill2Hill in the past, But because I prefer riding them. I always have to put up with chirps like its the kiddies race etc. Sometimes wish the chirpers would ride against the top junior men etc and see how far they get! All I want to know is why is longer better?

Thats because your main competition in the shorter events are women and children pansy boy :devil:

Seriously though - SA has the national XC series and Marathon Series. Pick your poison - both are high profile series. One is short, technical and harsh - the other long, less technical and harsh...

The longer races are "better" simply because they are more of a challenge than the shorter races - as you say "you simply can't ride 70/80km" - it takes training, conviction and a bit of sacrifice to race the longer races competitively.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the shorter races if thats what your goal is (and you can take the ribbing from your friends).

Not always a South African thing. There a huge Audax following in the world, especially in France, Canada and UK.

Audax is long distance road "racing" Anything from 200 to 1500 km. The most famous Audax event is Paris-Best-Paris where you have to complete the 1200 km distance in a max of 90 hrs!!

A mates son of 16 sticks to only doing the 20/25km races, and I always give him a hard time since the longer races are where it's at right. That is, until he kicked my butt so resoundingly that I actually considered faking an injury or mechanical in order to make the constant ribbing a little easier to deal with! With long races you got to always leave a little in the tank for the last couple of km's, but with short distance it's flat out start to finish, that's pretty hardcore if you ask me.

I say race what makes you happy, pointless racing long distance and hating it.

Edited by EigerSA

To me the most important thing is to find what you enjoy and what your genetic inheritance gave you.

Very much like photography, some like landscapes, some prefer portraits, others photograph odd objects, ultimately they become only really, really good at one and then good at the others.

I for one prefer longer events, even the ultra's are too short for me.

I am too slow for XC events and at the marathons I only warm up towards the end.

Give me a long event and I can sustain for as long as it takes, it all boils down to the individual and understanding their body and said bodies capabilities.

The longer stuff also becomes addictive and if you are the kind of individual who enjoys it and thrives on going back time and again, then by all means you have found your niche.