Sani 2 C Training, help please

hi all, i got an entry for the sani (adventure) going to ride with my dad (he has done it 5 times already) - im a beginner, please i need all the help i can get regarding training,, Im also on a weightloss program (20KG to go) - and lets be honest, there is no better place to ask for advise than here on hub.... I just bought a secondhand roadbike ( RC6000 raleigh) - must i include road in the training, please guys help!! its a dream come true to do it with my old man, now i need to keep up and very excited!!

I think road is an excellent form of base training..But get off it and onto the MTB soon..You wont realise how much your body takes a pounding that just wont be simulated on the road.

I made the mistake the first time i did it by doing all my training on the road(for logistical reasons), and my fingers,arms,back,bum,neck hurt...

Plan to do some marathon mtb events before the time to get a taste of what you are in for in terms of endurance and pacing yourself.

Hmmm, mixed advice.

Did it for the first time this year. Only "training" I did was to ride my bike every weekend. Sani has about 4 hills if i remember correctly, no walk in the park but nothing to overtrain for. Time would be best spent riding your MTB on the weekend and have a few beers afterwards with your old man...thats how the real SANI ADVENTURE is.

Enter for the full Marathon in Barberton next January, this race will give you an idea of what to expect, and dont forget to have the beers afterwards for the real SANI ADVENTURE.

Enter for the full Marathon in Barberton next January, this race will give you an idea of what to expect, and dont forget to have the beers afterwards for the real SANI ADVENTURE.

hahaha, im not fit enough to do a marathon race!!! i have six months to do the impossible,, im at step 1 now, so marathon out for me for now!! all help appreciated and im gonna need lots more! thx guys, help this girl make her old man proud!

hahaha, im not fit enough to do a marathon race!!! i have six months to do the impossible,, im at step 1 now, so marathon out for me for now!! all help appreciated and im gonna need lots more! thx guys, help this girl make her old man proud!

It is very possible,my wife started cycling August 2007,rode Sani in FEB 2008,do base work and slowly build up your mileage most important ride within yourself and eat properly and the Sani will be a breeze.

Look for Team Bobbi-Bear and come and say Hi!!

Strongs

hi all, i got an entry for the sani (adventure)

Lucky you! ;)

Get on that MTB and ride it! Like the guys said, your body takes a different strain than on the road.

It is very possible,my wife started cycling August 2007,rode Sani in FEB 2008,do base work and slowly build up your mileage most important ride within yourself and eat properly and the Sani will be a breeze.

Look for Team Bobbi-Bear and come and say Hi!!

Strongs

hi - thx, but how about a little more info on how she started of and what type off - just a little more on this!! ive been riding for about year now, but only on weekends, so now its alot more serious!! please mail me some info rene@twroad.co.za - we are team sweet and short ,hiehie

Dirtcrazy.....I have an idea......sit down with your dad and ask him.....his done it 5 times already.....on the weight loss, ride your bike and make an appointment with a dietician :thumbup:

I did it for the first time after 0 cycling - bought my bike end October and then did a slow 94.7. Did some marathon racesjust to get the time in the saddle - this is all you really need. So cycle a bit during the week and focus on long rides on the weekend - ride both days.

Sani2C is a fun race - day 2 is a bit difficult - just walk the 2 big hills and enjoy the rest.

hi all, i got an entry for the sani (adventure) going to ride with my dad (he has done it 5 times already) - im a beginner, please i need all the help i can get regarding training,, Im also on a weightloss program (20KG to go) - and lets be honest, there is no better place to ask for advise than here on hub.... I just bought a secondhand roadbike ( RC6000 raleigh) - must i include road in the training, please guys help!! its a dream come true to do it with my old man, now i need to keep up and very excited!!

Hi!!

Did the Argus with my dad for the first time this year and it was awesome! It really is an honour to do something like that with your parents!! If you are looking for a correct, challenging and "lekker" training program that works, contact me at maryke.verster87@gmail.com [i am a sport scientist, just look under training programs for cyclists in the training and nutrition forum].

Ride, ride and then ride some more. Start off with base training 1500 km at relatively easy pace (+/- two months) then start with interval training and more rigourous rides. Try riding at least 3 times in the week for 1 - 2 hrs and then get a long hard ride (80 - 120kms can be on road bike, but try doing MTB as much as possible) in on Saturdays with a slow recovery ride on Sunday (50 -70km)

I rode my first Sani having done minor cycling.

I rode 80 kms once in like september the year before and I rode a couple of 40 km rides, but I rode 40km 6 times a week. It was an on/offroad commute, for 3 days a week and a ride on the weekends.

The bottomline for me came down to selfmanagement, If you can manage your body you will be fine,

Try race, its the easiest way to train, there a couple 2 and 3 day races on the run up to 2011 Sani, so try do them and enjoy riding...