aluminium frame cracks

29er

Seat post crack !!......has any hubber out there had a aluminium frame welded up successfully and did it last ?

Seat post crack !!......has any hubber out there had a aluminium frame welded up successfully and did it last ?

You are new here (welcome), so you will be excused. Full descriptions and a picture are a must if you want any response. A picture of your sister in the background earns you extra credits. Only plumber crack pictures is not required.

Hope the picture tell the story.....sorry my sister will ruïne a good bike picture.....smile.

post-19067-072936900 1288010479.jpg

K this seems to be the bit where the seat post goes inside. Is this the bit where the clamp goes?

Anyways I am not sure I would want to weld this as it is already cracked on a weld spot. How's your insurance policy looking? Hope you haven't missed any payments.

K this seems to be the bit where the seat post goes inside. Is this the bit where the clamp goes?

Anyways I am not sure I would want to weld this as it is already cracked on a weld spot. How's your insurance policy looking? Hope you haven't missed any payments.

Would insurance cover a crack? I am sure they would say it is a manufacturing fault or wear and tear.

How old is the bike? Rather see if you can't get something done under warranty? How the hell did that happen, your seat post couldn't have been in very deep from the looks of it?

Manufacturing fault I would go with on this one. It has probably cracked on the initial weld due to a bad weld in the first place. Maybe look at the warranty.

Other problem may be a weight issue but lets not go there right now.

Urgh! Was your seat post (the actual bit that attaches to the saddle) too short or extended too high? That's the only reason I could account for a tear like that ...

taking a guess here, but judging from the colour, it looks like a Gary Fisher 29". Won't be the 1st one I see in that state. If your seatpost was inserted deep enough (as specified minimum), you should be good for a refund. Bike can't be older than a year or so?

I cracked my previous frame at the pivot attachment (full sus bike). Took it back to the shop and they gave me a new frame the next morning...

My advice - get the shop to replace it if you've bought the bike new!

Thanks Saint, I'm not to confident on the welding thing, hence my question regarding this.

Guess the frame will land on the pavement !!

You have to pretty damn good to weld aluminium since it goes from solid to liquid in a heartbeat. Just take it back to the bike shop. You could probably still ride the bike, you'd just need to make sure the seat post goes way beyond the crack.