Why arent we willing to help?

Woofie

I have been fairly inactive on the hub for the past while.

Been too hectic at work.

Had some time today to do some creeping around and I had a good look at one of Frail's posts.

I am pretty sad to see that only 6 people from here are willing to chip in and help him.

I mean he is not some oak on the street that is going to drink out this money, it is a legit cause. I dont have a huge burden for old age homes on my heart. But he does.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/87140-talk-no-longer-moved/page__st__40

I am not a kind of person that likes to give away money to anything.

And it is normally driven by the fear that I am not going to have enough for the month.

So, yes I am one of the guilty people as well.

But for once, why dont we eat one less macdonalds meals for the month and rather put that money into something worthwhile.

If you could give up one of your small luxuries for just a few days and see that money making a difference in someone else's life, why wouldnt you want to make the sacrifice?

I am going to support him with R50. There is also some prizes to be won, so hey, you may get your money back even!

Who else is going to support him as well?

Before FRAIL'S request I already had two people doing the charity thing that I support. Theres only so much one can give, and there are already a lot of charity going into cycling races.

Been too hectic at work.

Had some time today to do some creeping around and I had a good look at one of Frail's posts.

I am pretty sad to see that only 6 people from here are willing to chip in and help him.

I mean he is not some oak on the street that is going to drink out this money, it is a legit cause. I dont have a huge burden for old age homes on my heart. But he does.

And it is normally driven by the fear that I am not going to have enough for the month.

But for once, why dont we eat one less macdonalds meals for the month and rather put that money into something worthwhile.

If you could give up one of your small luxuries for just a few days and see that money making a difference in someone else's life, why wouldnt you want to make the sacrifice?

I am going to support him with R50. There is also some prizes to be won, so hey, you may get your money back even!

im in if you tell me where i can give him the bucks im at durbanville sunday or can an eft work

im in if you tell me where i can give him the bucks im at durbanville sunday or can an eft work

Just reply to him in his thread.

Shot

Before FRAIL'S request I already had two people doing the charity thing that I support. Theres only so much one can give, and there are already a lot of charity going into cycling races.

100%

If you are already making sacrifices then you dont need to make more.

But I probably fall into the same boat as most people on the hub where we are too scared to throw our money at something that is not going to benefit us.

So for once I am going to get off my bum and give something.

100%

If you are already making sacrifices then you dont need to make more.

But I probably fall into the same boat as most people on the hub where we are too scared to throw our money at something that is not going to benefit us.

So for once I am going to get off my bum and give something.

Ill pledge another R50

Funny, you know, how people happily pay ... what, R100 or so for a bomb that only gets used once and then tossed. Or buy a new tube instead of just patching the old one. Or change parts on a whim, simply 'cos there's a newer, later, lighter edition. But a raffle ticket's too much.

Guys, there's a Pigalle dinner going ... as well as some CWC goodies.

Anyway, Woofie, thanks for the thread; Berry and CaptainDura for doing something about it, and Cervelo for supporting charity.

Funny, you know, how people happily pay ... what, R100 or so for a bomb that only gets used once and then tossed. Or buy a new tube instead of just patching the old one. Or change parts on a whim, simply 'cos there's a newer, later, lighter edition. But a raffle ticket's too much.

Guys, there's a Pigalle dinner going ... as well as some CWC goodies.

Anyway, Woofie, thanks for the thread; Berry and CaptainDura for doing something about it, and Cervelo for supporting charity.

:thumbup:

I disagree, there are literally thousands of people and organisations asking for money on a daily basis, nobody can support all of them.

Most people, like me, have set organisations we support, its not that I dont think other organisations are not worthy, I just prefer to give MORE to those I do support by not diluting my spend over 10 other charities.

I wish him well, but regretably, I prefer to support other causes.

I believe it's quite simple, people choose where to spend their money and prefer to do so on THEMSELVES, upgrading their homes, cars, bicycles etc as opposed to supporting what you or I might see as a worthy cause. Same thing as guys would drink & party away R100 in less than 2 hours in a fancy club instead of sponsoring or donating to a cause!

I base it on Annual income and what % you choose to give to a charity or cause. So if you earn R50000/annum, what's R50? I don't think many people here earn R50000/annum by the price of the bicycles they ride!

I'm doin the CHOC COW thing this year and let's just say i'm 1 of the lower income earners in the company, so i know guys going home with R30000/month, the most i've had sponsored by any of my colleagues is R300, go figure!

I started the following thread:

Hub Fundraising Advertiser

Some have read it but 0 replies or even comments, good or bad, to me this shows the state of mind of cyclists?

I will support FRAIL, i've also already challenged a couple COWS that if they ride in a COW suit (non 94.7 event) i will support them in their fund raising effort. I will support Mark Thijs for CHOC (on a 8 Seater Tandem) as i know his story and lastly i will support the Melanie Laskey CHOC fund!

I will help Jolandie Rust in any way to achieve her dream!

My aim in life has changed more this year and i've seen and felt the benefits of my efforts, i only wish others could see the lives they can touch and feel that warm fuzzy feeling when you see a smile of a grateful child and can't help but to GRIN like a TJOP! :D

Guest Frail4Life

Been too hectic at work.

I Thank You for your Encouragement.

Where else will you get a Chance to get a Kit / Dinner or even Supplements for R50?

David

Human nature i suppose, something must be done but let someone else do it. Generally everyone jumps on soap box and shouts about bad drivers, roads etc and something must be done but when asked to contribute to-wards something like ShaunH Sign Up initiative they mysteriously disappear. Same for collecting for charity causes, good idea but let someone else do it.

Edited by scotty

Human nature i suppose, something must be done but let someone else do it. Generally everyone jumps on soap box and shouts about bad drivers, roads etc and something must be done but when asked to contribute to-wards something like ShaunH Sign Up initiative they mysteriously disappear. Same for collecting for charity causes, good idea but let someone else do it.

Scotty, 4got about ShaunH, do you know if he does active fundraising to fund the signs? How's he generally work?

Hi SuperCowSonic

I read your thread yesterday and wanted to respond but sanity prevailed. Thanks Scotty for always promoting Sign-Up when & where you can.

The signs thing is going no-where slowly as funds have been scarce and dealing with the Provincial Governments is a nightmare. Sign-Up has been very low-key this year as people (mostly cyclists) won't even greet you never mind give you R1 to try and save their lives.

I am currently doing a safety patrol or rather following large groups of cyclists around the south over week-ends to try keep them safe. I will be shutting down Sign-Up at the end of February 2011.

Thanks SCS and good luck to Frail and all the others riding for Cancer at this years 94.7. Raising funds for cancer is really great but in my opinion there are thousands of people doing this yet nobody tries and cares about cyclists and their safety. PLEASE, DON'T GET ME WRONG! CANCER IS A SERIOUS ILLNESS!! and more should be done to find a cure!

Lee Tonge (Leet22) will be riding in Sign-Up kit at this years 94.7 to raise funds and I wish him all the best.

May GOD bless you all and keep you safe out there!

Regards,

Shaun Hannie

Not sure, i think he's given up on it. He had various initiatives from erecting signs on the regular cycle routes, T shirts, cycle kit and even stickers on sale.

Edit sorry Captain Slow saw your post after i hit enter.

Edited by scotty