Cold Feet and booties

What do you guys suggest for keeping my feet warm on my morning rides (04:15)

This morning was one to much, took 30 minutes for my toes to thaw out.

I am using two pairs of hiking socks I got from Tasmania, especialy made for cold weather climbing, but they did nothing to keep my feet warm.

I have seen those booties that some folks use, are they any good for keeping the feet warm, and are they expensive?

Might try glad wrap tomorrow morning and see if that works smileys/smiley36.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, they work, but you'll have to cover the "air" holes in the soles of the shoes as well, otherwise your toes fall off byt your heels are fine smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

hmmmm, i don't yet know what works, what is not sufficient is mtb socks and those slipstream over-socks.... neoprene is definately an option to try... mbut 04:15 on te westrand in winter.... chris are you nuts?!?!?!?!  smileys/smiley2.gif

Thanks guys, I guess that the fact that I use shoes with huge holes for extra ventilation is not helping either hey? smileys/smiley4.gif

ewep, for the record the "airholes" in my cycling shoes are nicle sealed up in winter-mode with duct-tape and i still left my toes somewhere along that eikenhof section!

p.s. are we gonna do another ride on sunday? if so where so i can start planning hte winter layers... if it's down south i'm gonna try my neoprene toe-covers under the slipstreams.....

but 04:15 on te westrand in winter.... chris are you nuts?!?!?!?!  Click on image to open in new window[/quote']

I think Chris should join us for a ride in the South smileys/smiley20.gif

Nuts?  Could be, but it is the best time for me to train, have to be at home by 6:15 to start getting ready for work/feed the dogs/feed the girlfriend....yes she is spoilt... and all the other little things one does in the morning.

I dont like cycling after work due to traffic, and the fact that once i get home after work i am to lazy to go cycling smileys/smiley1.gif

But getting up at 4 is not bad, the first couple of weeks was bad, but once you get used to it, its very nice to go cycling on virtually empty roads...

Just the cold getting to me, this morning was especially bad, I refused to go faster than 20km/h....

i agree smileys/smiley4.gif c'mon chris.... join the best bunch of cyclists around smileys/smiley2.gif

chris, it's easy to get up that early, but to go OUT to ride that early in the cold??? once it warms up michelleH and i will be back out at that kinda hour, but not at sub-5 degrees! smileys/smiley2.gif

Its actually not that bad slowpoke, the first 5 minutes is the worst, you usually cant see anything because your eyeballs vibrate so much from the shivering, but after that you warm up nicely.  Usually its only my feet that suffers a bit, but this morning my hands also paid the price, must have been the coldest training ride i have done thus far.  Not sure what the actuall temp was outside.  The Virgin Active board on Beyers displayed 0, when I left for work at 07:00 my car displayed -1, and the weather report on tv displayed +1.   Not sure who to believesmileys/smiley2.gif

ewep, tell me more about this ride smileys/smiley4.gif

Damm, you can't organise a ride this Sunday, it's a rest day for me smileys/smiley19.gif.

I'm out this weekend.  Going to the Vaal, so if you want a REAL LSD, come join me on Saturday.  I'm gonna do Vanderbijl - "Ertjies Berg" - Parys - Barrage - Vanderbijl.

Cadex, if you're interested I would love company.  The rest of you are more than welcome, just one thing though, no backup vehicle.

ChrisJ, my Polar gave me a min of -4 that morning.  We did the Lido route near Alberton.

i am actually keen to do it again this week.... now i gotta remmeber which post had certain other people discussing doing it on sunday.... thing is, it was that flippin mountin-goat epoh and some other strong guys...

are there any not-so-strong takers?