Merida TFS 500 D or TFS 800 D

VO2

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new MTB (mainly for weekend rides and maybe one or two light XC races) and have my eye on these two options:

Merida TFS 500 D (R7 600)

Merida TFS 800 D (R9 600)

The main differences (other than the price) are:

Merida 500:

Rock Shox Dart 3 100 Poploc

Shimano Deore shifters and front derailleur (XT 9 speed at the back)

Brakes Shimano M445 180/160 mm

Merida 800:

RST First Air 100 Remote

Shimano XT shifters and front derailleur (XT 10 speed at the back)

Brakes Shimano M505 180/160 mm

My question is, do you think the 2K price difference is worth it?

My budget allows me to go up to 10K on a new bike - do you guys think there's anything better out there in that price range?

Thanks

Pay the extra 2k. A few years ago I paid an extra 2K for a better option and today I am not regretting it. Believe me you will be glad that you paid the extra 2k , cause once you have bought the bike there is no turning back.

Pay the extra 2k. A few years ago I paid an extra 2K for a better option and today I am not regretting it. Believe me you will be glad that you paid the extra 2k , cause once you have bought the bike there is no turning back.

+1

Pay the extra 2k! you should also have a look at the silverback range.

Best value for money.

Settled then... cheers for all the advice, last question, how do you guys rate the 800 D

VERY happy with my 800D.

The only difference is that mine has the Manitou R7 fork and SLX shifters (2010 model).

Nice and light - an all-round good buy. :thumbup:

Just checked the 2011 specs again, looks like the 800 D also has SLX shifters. I'm going to'ride before you buy' this weekend, hopefully Merida will be there with the 800 D. Just saw that Cannondale's offering the F4 (2010)for 8k... might be an option???

Ended up going to Bridge Cycles, awesome service... the owner Faizel hooked me up with a Merida Matts TFS XC 600-D (2010) for 7k, similarly spec'd to the 2011 800-D only with sram X 9 and 7 components, juicy 3 brakes and rock shox instead of the RST... ok so not so similarly spec'd, but I'm chuffed bout my new bike, gonna take some getting used to the sram shifters (where you cant see what gear you in) but hey no worries... heres to many happy miles ;-)