Bain's Kloof Pass

splat

I know they were busy with works on Bain's Kloof a while ago.

Are they finished?

Is it ridable from the Wellington side?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up and over Bain's Kloof pass in April, from Wellington's side. Not sure when the road works started (before or after I was over?), but then it was ok then.

Thanks

I haven't been there in AGES.

I know there was road works there a while ago, but I dont know how outdated my info is.

Thanks

I haven't been there in AGES.

I know there was road works there a while ago, but I dont know how outdated my info is.

Bainskloof is closed. Apparently closed on October 11, and will "be closed for several months"

• 11 years later...

Best is to take a chance on a Sunday. The workers are off on Sundays. We rode the pass in Feb without issues.

I was there 3 weeks ago. It is still legally closed to all. Spoke to the lady at Tweede Tol StopnGo & she said cyclists ignored & went through . It gets her into trouble & there is the issue of if something goes wrong, who bears the cost of a medivac etc. I just rode back the way I came & waiting patiently for June when it should be open. If you are looking to head out somewhere different, R45** (I think) has a hard shoulder from Paarl (past Hermon & Tulbach) all the way out Ceres & back. It is a brilliant ride that includes Michaels** Pass into Ceres. Better to do on a Sunday as less trucks.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Anyone know if it's ride-able (legal or otherwise)...

Bainskloof Construction flyer _March 2022_ENG EDIT-1.jpg

We have been turned back twice (quite determinedly by the officials at the stop), but every now and then you hear of people who managed to ride there. So you might get lucky or you might be an ass and force your way through but personally I'll wait a few weeks until they are finished 

Thanks all.
I saw rides on Strava, but wanted to know the full situation. Will rather plan a different route.

I'm following this topic, so if anyone in future knows that we are officially allowed passage then please update the rest of us. 😃

Edited by bleedToWin

Last I heard the contractor was running way behind schedule. Possible a stop-go system from beginning of June until 100% completion.

I wouldn't hold my breathe...

image.png.7992d3f8fc3dfe8ece1378c0c9b634c6.png

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Thanks all.
I saw rides on Strava, but wanted to know the full situation. Will rather plan a different route.

I'm following this topic, so if anyone in future knows that we are officially allowed passage then please update the rest of us. 😃

I heard there is a race on Sunday in Slanghoek though

Was open for a short while over Christmas then closed again.Massive delays and I’ve heard September/October.

There is usually people there and stop go even weekends.

Dont waste your time.I’ve driven a few times to Wellington lately hoping to ride over and do a slanghoek loop guys there are not interested and won’t let you thru.Had to do botmaskop loop instead.

Yes road race on Sunday but you’ll have to use the tunnel which makes the race a bit pricy.

17 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I heard there is a race on Sunday in Slanghoek though

Considering that my current FTP is equal to your left leg, and that I'm carrying similar fatigue levels to that of an overworked 32 year old donkey, I won't be racing Slanghoek...

Might cycle there to spectate if I can sort my plans out and get a lift back, hence looking at Bainskloof. Will probably just do Du Toitskloof.

• 1 year later...

Is Bainskloof pass open? We have a nice little spot booked near Tulbagh next week and I was toying with the idea of riding there. Seems about 80KM via Bainskloof.