Protein Shake

WayneO

Hi All,

When out on longer rides I usually use USN Cyto power. I have been advised that I should add Whey protein to this mix as it increases the absorption rate and breakdown of the carbs in the energy drink.

Any thoughts? And is it better to use Whey or pure protein?

Ok no answer thus far.

What do you mean by longer rides?

Why would you want to increase the absorption rate? USN cytopower release energy faster than something like 32GI, and lots of guys ride for hours on end with only 32gi. I've only done about 3.5h rides with 32gi and really didn't need anything else

Makes no sense to me adding protein to increase carb uptake ?

Adding protein would be good to start repairing tissue again as you ride, or am I mistaken ?

Makes no sense to me adding protein to increase carb uptake ?

Adding protein would be good to start repairing tissue again as you ride, or am I mistaken ?

Off the topic...Are you sponsored by Velocite? Whats your involment with them.

I bought the USN recovery drink a couple of weekends agout to try something new. It had whey protein and the label made all the right claims and the ingredients looked good. Bought the chocolate. Then I got home here in Mozambique and got my tub of FiT Choc Dura train out and made two mixes, one USN and one FiT which I froze for after my Saturday ride and then after my Sunday ride. The label comparison showed the two were comaparable across many of the ingredients, but FiT had more ingredients including vitamins. Re the taste, the USN for me was too sweet. Not sure about the value for money since I don't remeber how much I paid for the FiT. But the FiT protein recovery mix still works for me.

Weenie, the protein should help with starting to repair broken muscle and protein becomes important on ultra long events, so you are not mistaken

Off the topic...Are you sponsored by Velocite? Whats your involment with them.

Partly, yes. PM me if you want more details

Weenie, the protein should help with starting to repair broken muscle and protein becomes important on ultra long events, so you are not mistaken

Thus why Epic pro works so well for multi-day events ?

Thinking that addin whey and vitargo to your normal drink should render similiar results ?

Or maybe mixing your energy/recovery drink into one :huh:

Thus why Epic pro works so well for multi-day events ?

Thinking that addin whey and vitargo to your normal drink should render similiar results ?

Or maybe mixing your energy/recovery drink into one :huh:

Suppose that could work, but I think for 3-4h events, if you included protein in your breakfast and you have enough protein within 30min after the event, then you don't need it during the event as well

Guest agteros

Suppose that could work, but I think for 3-4h events, if you included protein in your breakfast and you have enough protein within 30min after the event, then you don't need it during the event as well

Just go light on the protein in the breakfast. It is the most expensive food to digest. Draws all the blood to your stomach, and affect aerobic performance

I bought the USN recovery drink a couple of weekends agout to try something new. It had whey protein and the label made all the right claims and the ingredients looked good. Bought the chocolate. Then I got home here in Mozambique and got my tub of FiT Choc Dura train out and made two mixes, one USN and one FiT which I froze for after my Saturday ride and then after my Sunday ride. The label comparison showed the two were comaparable across many of the ingredients, but FiT had more ingredients including vitamins. Re the taste, the USN for me was too sweet. Not sure about the value for money since I don't remeber how much I paid for the FiT. But the FiT protein recovery mix still works for me.

Would you recommend to be be taking either of those after Ive been training at the gym for 2hrs? I need my body to recover for the next days session, Im worried about putting weight on by taking these "recovery" drinks

Would you recommend to be be taking either of those after Ive been training at the gym for 2hrs? I need my body to recover for the next days session, Im worried about putting weight on by taking these "recovery" drinks

Caerus, I hate it when some random oke tell me how to train, so I'll just ask and maybe give some insight.

Why are you training for 2h at the gym? Is that whole 2h for strengthtraining?

For you to gain weight the simple equation comes in. energy in > energy out

You shouldn't put on muscle if you still cycle and do enough cardio.

And if you start to gain too much muscle, then change your gym schedule.

I often drink full mealreplacement shakes after sessions at the gym. During summer I ease off on the gym and start losing weight and during winter I may gym a bit more and then regain muscle again.

Another thing to remember: Your body can only effectively process 25g of protein at a time

Caerus, I hate it when some random oke tell me how to train, so I'll just ask and maybe give some insight.

Why are you training for 2h at the gym? Is that whole 2h for strengthtraining?

For you to gain weight the simple equation comes in. energy in > energy out

You shouldn't put on muscle if you still cycle and do enough cardio.

And if you start to gain too much muscle, then change your gym schedule.

I often drink full mealreplacement shakes after sessions at the gym. During summer I ease off on the gym and start losing weight and during winter I may gym a bit more and then regain muscle again.

Another thing to remember: Your body can only effectively process 25g of protein at a time

Im training about an hr/45 mins on the spinning bike 4 days a week(wed rest day), then I'll alternate days when I do another hr of cardio, be it on the cross trainer, the rowing machines, stepper or Ill be core strenght training or maybe a 15 min run, then on the oher two days Im doing light weights(more super circuit) one 1 day of the weights and then on the other Ill do a full light weights program, and with another day of core strengh training. My muscles are sore after and I feel like Im not going to ge able to make the nest days training, although ill push through the pain barrier.

I know that whey & protein shakes will help with recovery of the muscles - Im just worried that if I take it, then still have dinner when I get home - Ill start to add weight on. I find my training regime defiantly help with my cycling - I ride three times a week(wed, light ride; Sat a long ride and sunday either race day or a ride with the missus or just a chilled ride by myself) I also surf/bodyboard after my rides as well.

So i need sometjhing to help with all that.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, my average long ride varies from 4.5 to 5.5hrs. I am tending to think that maybe the protein would be best then after my ride?

@Caerus, cool. I though you were actually doing weight training all that time. With being so active, you could do with the protein, but if dinner is straight after gym then you don't really need the shake as well. You could however add a shake as a snack during the day if you feel low on energy.

@WAyneO, I'd agree with that

@Caerus, cool. I though you were actually doing weight training all that time. With being so active, you could do with the protein, but if dinner is straight after gym then you don't really need the shake as well. You could however add a shake as a snack during the day if you feel low on energy.

@WAyneO, I'd agree with that

Slightly low on energy, but top that up with fruit all day. Its more the actual muscle tiredness & fatigue im worried about. That my muscles need more va va voom after training them, even after spinning.