Controversial cycling safety statement

rudi-h

Reading the "resting your forearms on the handlebars" thread, it got me thinking of cycling safety in general...

Before everybody shoots me down and gets excited, I want to make the following statement:

I do feel strong about cycling safely, and I fully support initiatives like "no helmet - no ride" that are being forced at races / big events. I also take the following safety steps:

a) Commute and ride almost exclusively with my MTB, so that I can bunnyhop onto sidewalks / shoulders if something unforeseen happens

B) Wear a helmet when riding on roads, races or riding technical tracks

c) Never ride / run with an Ipod

d) Don't rest with my forearms on the handlebars.

I believe this is more than most guys out there can say , but very often I get cursed at, shouted at and chirped while doing easy off-road training rides without a helmet. I do not quite get this, because in my opinion there are millions of other "dangerous" stuff that cyclists do all the time that does not cause any alarm. Almost as if we (cycling community) are only concerned about helmets and the rest doesn't seem to matter.

I don't like a helmet on my head - it's hot, sweaty and the straps around my chin irritate me. So when I go on a easy sunday afternoon ride (off-road, slow pace, well within my technical ability and on trails that I know by heart), I do not ride with a helmet.

I believe the following things are much more dangerous, but nobody "chirps" about these...

1) Riding with road bikes on busy roads - not able to bunnyhop onto the sidewalk when a taxi cuts you off

2) Riding with i-pods - not able to hear any traffic or other cyclists

3) Riding with your "forearms" on the bars - not able to respond quickly to anything

So correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we focusing on the wrong stuff???

Edited by rudi-h

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to each his own, and I'm not going to judge what's right or wrong, but in my opinion, I've only got one pip, so I want it covered at all times, even in my 1Km ride to the shops!

to each his own, and I'm not going to judge what's right or wrong, but in my opinion, I've only got one pip, so I want it covered at all times, even in my 1Km ride to the shops!

Same... I ride mine to the shops and hairdresser (on the rare occasion i get my hair cut :P) and both are less then one km away, but i still put my helmet on. I guess this is ingrained in me from years of riding horses.

Same... I ride mine to the shops and hairdresser (on the rare occasion i get my hair cut :P) and both are less then one km away, but i still put my helmet on. I guess this is ingrained in me from years of riding horses.

or in my case, from having a helmet-busting prang when you least expect it! I still carry the facial scars from a quite horrible crash!

I ride sometimes with no helmet & listen to my MP3 player, what the problem.

As long as you're not endangering anyone else except yourself, no problem at all

Reading the "resting your forearms on the handlebars" thread, it got me thinking of cycling safety in general...

Before everybody shoots me down and gets excited, I want to make the following statement:

I do feel strong about cycling safely, and I fully support initiatives like "no helmet - no ride" that are being forced at races / big events. I also take the following safety steps:

a) Commute and ride almost exclusively with my MTB, so that I can bunnyhop onto sidewalks / shoulders if something unforeseen happens

B) Wear a helmet when riding on roads, races or riding technical tracks

c) Never ride / run with an Ipod

d) Don't rest with my forearms on the handlebars.

I believe this is more than most guys out there can say , but very often I get cursed at, shouted at and chirped while doing easy off-road training rides without a helmet. I do not quite get this, because in my opinion there are millions of other "dangerous" stuff that cyclists do all the time that does not cause any alarm. Almost as if we (cycling community) are only concerned about helmets and the rest doesn't seem to matter.

I don't like a helmet on my head - it's hot, sweaty and the straps around my chin irritate me. So when I go on a easy sunday afternoon ride (off-road, slow pace, well within my technical ability and on trails that I know by heart), I do not ride with a helmet.

I believe the following things are much more dangerous, but nobody "chirps" about these...

1) Riding with road bikes on busy roads - not able to bunnyhop onto the sidewalk when a taxi cuts you off

2) Riding with i-pods - not able to hear any traffic or other cyclists

3) Riding with your "forearms" on the bars - not able to respond quickly to anything

So correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we focusing on the wrong stuff???

so, to sum up, the main cycling safety issues for you are

1. don't ride your road bike on a road that has, like, a lot of cars

2. don't use your ipod on your bike

3. correct hand position on handlebars

or in my case, from having a helmet-busting prang when you least expect it! I still carry the facial scars from a quite horrible crash!

Yip, one close shave on your noggin and then its helmet for life. I once fell off a horse as i was mounting it. He freaked out about something and decided to flee as i was mounting him. This resulted in me falling at a nasty angle going down head first. To top the lot the horse managed to head butt me horribly as he was turning to flee. An accident that happened before even taking one step. I had my helmet on but had i not, i dread to think what would have happened. So ever since then i put my noggin protection on before even mounting a horse or bike!

Edited by BGS

Its like the guys that ride at night, dusk or dawn with no lights - Im more worried about that then not them wearing a helmet. Cause they are a danger to other road users

Yip, one close shave on your noggin and then its helmet for life. I once fell off a horse as i was mounting it. He freaked out out something and decided to flee as i was mounting him. This resulted in me falling at a nasty angle going down head first. To top the lot the horse managed to head butt me horribly as he was turning to flee. An accident that happened before even taking one step. I had my helmet on but had i not, i dread to think what would have happened. So ever since then i put my noggin protection on before even mounting a horse or bike!

yet those horse riding helmets look like they couldn't protect you from anything! As you say, you only need one pip-threatening incident to be a convert for life, if it wasn't too late!

As long as you're not endangering anyone else except yourself, no problem at all

I also have the music turned down enough that I can still hear it, but hear more whats going on around me. By jumping onto pavements is more an endangerment then not wearing youre helmet.

And you live under a bridge?

I'll say again, whats the problem? Its my indaba. I havent had a go at anyone, yet you have chosen to say something to me. Mmm.

I used to often ride my MTB with no helmet...back when I wasnt racing or anything...I used to DH a bit and rode up helmet-less and down with a Full face. but some XC rides I would just not wear one.

But now - it's imprinted in my brain to wear one no matter what - if I step out of my garage without one I feel naked. I have to put it on. I guess I could say thanks to the PPA/Racing.

I also make sure I wear eye protection - even at night. A bug/stone flicked up can cause serious damage, loss of control etc. I have also crashed on my face and my lenses protected my eyes from a serious gravel rash of the cornea.

You can use an ipod, but make sure the volume is low enough for ambient noise. or use one earphone only.

I also have the music turned down enough that I can still hear it, but hear more whats going on around me. By jumping onto pavements is more an endangerment then not wearing youre helmet.

I remember the carefree cycling days in the 80s and early 90s when helmets weren't even commonplace, never mind compulsory. The wind in the hair - admittedly awesome! The feeling of freedom! Even rode 4500Km in Europe without a helmet on a cycle tour in the 90s. Fantastic. However, life moves on, you realise you're very, very fragile after a crash or two (or three or more), and things change, and the helmet becomes as automatic as putting on your cycling shorts.

With that said, you do whatever blows your hair back ohmy.gif, as mentioned, as long as you're not endangering anyone. Again, not judging, but should you crash, and it's messy or terminal, and that the trauma could have been minimised by having worn a helmet, let's hope you don't leave loved ones behind, because then your decision not to wear a helmet will most certainly have impacted others

I also make sure I wear eye protection - even at night. A bug/stone flicked up can cause serious damage, loss of control etc. I have also crashed on my face and my lenses protected my eyes from a serious gravel rash of the cornea.

thumbup1.gif