Saddle bag in races

besso

I have noticed that very few guys in the vet groups have saddle bags on their bikes. Do they have tubes in their jerseys or do they wait to be picked up when they puncture?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably picked up, better to get a dnf than a bad time stuffs up your seeding and makes it more difficult to get re-seeded in the group in races to come.

They're just showing off. They've payed millions for their super lightweight bikes and they'll be damned if they gonna fit something heavy to it. They don't even fit lights to them for early morning rides.

I've actually stopped using saddle bags because of MTBing. Stoopid things kept on either loosing or wrecking my stuffs.

SaddlebagS broke my cell phone screen, vibrated holes into 3 tubes, wrecked my first multi tool which it then slowly lost on the Groenkloof trails and then promptly lost my brand new Pedro's multitool.

On the road I carry the following in my jersey pockets:

2 x tubes

2 x tirelever

2 x bomb + 1 x dispenser

1 x medicalaid card

1 x note of monetary value

1 x cellphone

1 x Jungle oats bar.

then in winter even the arm warmers end up in there...

On the mtb I use a Camelback and carry the above plus puncture repair kit and a multitool.

Probably picked up, better to get a dnf than a bad time stuffs up your seeding and makes it more difficult to get re-seeded in the group in races to come.

Should not affect your seeding, they take the best 3 race times as ave.

I have always used them, I keep a tube, 2xbombs + head unit and puncture kit in there, you have to pack everything really tight (I use an old sock around the tube and it 'cushions' everything else) and make sure its very snug against the seat post.

Just like guys shouldn't do pink martini's bikes shouldn't have saddle bags, its just not cool, keep it real :rolleyes:

Guest agteros

And pumps and stuff in your jersey can be dangerous in a crash (especially so if you reckon that shaving should be done for hygiene when suffering from roasties)

Saddle bag? Neva Eva!!!! Its just not cool.

Not only is it not cool, but in some of the crits I race they state explicitely that NO SADDLEBAGS ARE ALLOWED! Weird...