Stumpjumper opinion?

Cycler

I am thinking of getting one of these dual suspension models bikes - not top of the range all carbon. I want to ride comfortably, possibly race two or three times a year and have fun on it. I would like opinions of owners (and others) regarding :

- how much of a role weight really plays

- ride comfort

- maintenance

- any other issues you may want to raise.

- is there a better option ?

Thank you

Hi Cycler

I had a Stumpjumper.

My thoughts.

A very capable all rounder, a great climber and even better on the descents.

The bike is incredibly comfortable and was the best bike I ever rode over a mega ultra distance event for two years in a row.

You will be hooked once you have it, but be careful, it's almost like getting sucked in to a cult :lol:

They are great bikes had 2 on loan from my cousins whilst in the UK earlier this year one carbon and one alloy they were both great.

The carbon bike was quite alot lighter but I liked the Fox on the alloy one

post-6876-080202400 1288541985.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

They are great bikes had 2 on loan from my cousins whilst in the UK earlier this year one carbon and one alloy they were both great.

The carbon bike was quite alot lighter but I liked the Fox on the alloy one

Crasher, do you know how it will compare to the Epic Specialized bikes?

Thanks

I had one of each. The Epic is much more of a race position. 100mm travel. The Stumpy which I still have is way more fun. Relaxed riding position and as already said very good on any level. The new ones have got even more travel than the old ones. It looks like they are 130-140mm travel now. I have had many years of fun on my bike. Good choice.

Hey Cycler, it's an unbelievable all-rounder. Always fun to ride.

I'm selling my 2009 model. It's in the classifieds somewhere. Have a look.

I saw the light three years ago and bought a Stumpy FSR Comp. Best decision ever!

For the kind of riding you mention it's perfect, a trail bike that can race too on occasion.

Compared to an equivalent specced Epic: it's heavier by a touch, but much more relaxed geometry, and probably somewhat more robust.

Maintenance is similar to what you'd have on any dual susser (excluding the top-end Spez Brain suspension bits which mine doesn't have) with shocks and pivots to care for.

Technical and product support from Spez has been excellent as well.

The only thing I'll change on my next one is to make it a 29'er.

Enjoy!