Schwalbe - what say ye?

kosmonooit

Greetings all,

Summer has arrived in all its glory in Jhb, possibly the only redeeming feature of living in this place. But I digress...

Looking for mtb tyres for my newly built lean & mean ZTR Crest / Hope Pro wheels. Been using the Conti combo since the beginning of the year, nothing wrong with them and they have served me well, but are getting worn out now I am going to leave the tyres on the spare wheel set, now looking at trying something else: possibly some Schwalbe tyres from CWC online.

How about Racing Ralph Evo UST 2.1 on the rear and Nobby Nic UST on the front? I do all kinds of riding, but will be breaking these in on the Lord of the Chain Rings in Hogsback, hard pack, forest roads, some rocky bits no doubt. Something with min rolling resistance and traction at the rear, so these seem like a good choice.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/Nobby_Nic_UST_Tyre.gif

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/schwalbe_racing_ralph_29er.jpg

Any comments / advice? Thanks in advance.

Edited by kosmonooit

The racing ralph would do good. Had one at the rear last year. Can't comment on the nobby nick.

You could also try rocket ron. I've got a pair that I need to get on the bike to test out

using RocketRon front and rear for a year now, no issues wot so ever on the Dual Sus

using Racing Ralphs on the HT also for a year now, no issues wot so ever.

its just that any of the Schwalbes are so bloody good

You cant go wrong with them.

And wen they are done, ill bu them again

Have been using Racing Ralph and even furios freds on my HT and haven't had a single problem.Fitted them to the wheels,but used schawble blue dot sealer,took it for a short ride and only check the presure after my sunday ride when it's bike wash time.

All the tyre's and sealer have been bought from CWC :thumbup: .

Best service by far !

:clap:

you can even try WWW.EASYBIKE.CO.ZA they have the different coulor Racing Ralphs.

http://www.easybike.co.za/tyres.html

Edited by 191296

Racing Ralph is the best al rounder I have used, bit on the pricy side but woth the cost.

On rocket rons non ust. verry light and fast.

I also have a set of wheels being built ZTR Crest rims I am going to run them on Racing Ralf UST's front and rear and see how they go.

I had Nobby Nics front and rear on my Merida AM a few years ago and they were great. Their sidewalls were unfortunately very soft and cut easily.AFAIk they have improved their sidewalls so it should prove to be an even better tyre now.

Thanks all esp. eggs actually I was thinking Muddy Mikes but that might not work so well with all the cow pats in the Amatolas, you know how it goes its all good then the occasional piece of smelly sticky poo comes along.

Edited by kosmonooit

FWIW I've become a Nobby Nic fan, F&R. It's also the first set of tyres I'm not going to change when they wear, and I've tried 'everything'. Wife won't let go of her Schwalbe's either, and she's been riding 20 years

Thanks all - I have gone for the combo as above, all this pondering and I slipped up on the car competition at CWC coz it closed last night boo hoo !

I have racing ralphs front and rear on my 29" HT. Must admit that I hate the tire - definately not good on the front. I find my front wheel wipes out way too easily on them. For the price I would recommend conti's combo or Maxxis Crossmarks.

In a word, 'Expensive'

But they do work, considered them too, but find that the Conti, Mtn and Race king combo still works great in most conditions, so staying with them.

Yes I don't see the Racing Ralph as a good idea on the front, but the Nob Nic option looks good: same idea as the Conti Race/Mountain King combo which works well.

Used both Ralph's and Rocket Rons.

So far I prefer the Rons all though to be fair most of the time I rode with Ralph's was with tubes installed so its not really fair to compare.

Rons are installed tubeless on Stans Alpine rims with Stans sealant and have performed excelent including alpine rocks, cow pats, grass and hardpack.