Camera lens info - not cycling related

vet pens

Hi<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please help where I can find more info on camera lenses. What to look for and how does the measurements work

www.dpreview.com

What to look for....all depends on what you want to use it for...

If you have a Canon you cannot really go wrong with the L series lenses.

depends on what you want to do and how much you're willing to spend. Good priced lenses are the Sigmas. Check SAcamera.co.za (???) for general stuff 70-300mm should do. If you're into wildlife 170-500mm will do.

Good priced lenses are the Sigmas. Check SAcamera.co.za (???) for general stuff 70-300mm should do. If you're into wildlife 170-500mm will do.

I have the 170 - 500 on a Minolta body and it works great of wildlife. Not the fastest lens though.

Do yourself a big favour and buy the August edition of What Digital Camera at CNA

Just about the most informative mag on everything to do with digital cameras.

This one has a brilliant article on the use of "old"lenses with new digital cameras.

Like all says, depends on what you want to do. I got a Canon 50mm 1.8II a month ago for under R1000 and this thing rocks. Also know as the "nifty fifty". Super sharp and light. Great for nice depth of field shots and portraits.

I'm also in the market for a zoom and is torn between the Canon 70-300 IS USM and the Canon 70-200 F4 L. Both are in the same price range.

Shoe wee, those websites are great, def going to buy that mag. I've got a canon and currently using a 70-300mm. For my cycling pics it works great, but I'm a bit dissappointed in my Kruger park photo's. My digital camera seemed to do the job a lot better and it's not even half the price.

Good priced lenses are the Sigmas. Check SAcamera.co.za (???) for general stuff 70-300mm should do. If you're into wildlife 170-500mm will do.

I have the 170 - 500 on a Minolta body and it works great of wildlife. Not the fastest lens though.
Minolta Digital or Film?

Like all says' date=' depends on what you want to do. I got a Canon 50mm 1.8II a month ago for under R1000 and this thing rocks. Also know as the "nifty fifty". Super sharp and light. Great for nice depth of field shots and portraits.

I'm also in the market for a zoom and is torn between the Canon 70-300 IS USM and the Canon 70-200 F4 L. Both are in the same price range.

[/quote']

I have the 50mm 1.8, kit lens and the 70-200mm F4 L

Love the setup. Looking at replacing the kit lens with a 17-40 F4 L maybe...

or the 17-55IS 2.8

Shoe wee' date=' those websites are great, def going to buy that mag. I've got a canon and currently using a 70-300mm. For my cycling pics it works great, but I'm a bit dissappointed in my Kruger park photo's. My digital camera seemed to do the job a lot better and it's not even half the price. [/quote'] Bel my

Like all says' date=' depends on what you want to do. I got a Canon 50mm 1.8II a month ago for under R1000 and this thing rocks. Also know as the "nifty fifty". Super sharp and light. Great for nice depth of field shots and portraits.

[/quote'] What price?

I've got the 50mm 1.8 which is, as everyone says, a great lense.  Most of the time use the Tamron 18-250 which gives me a pretty good range of options.  Lense is good - not L glass quality, but good - AF speed is generally very fast, but sometimes misfires.  Really cool lense when you just want to carry one.  I've also got a Canon 70-300mm "old" lense in my bag but haven't used it much recently.  Will probably settle for the 70-200 F4 L when I have some cash to blow.

[/quote']

I played with the 70-300 IS USM ... not that impressive. Edge blurring is still an issue, there's also a small amount of that "prism effect" (chromatic aberration?) BUT It's still better than the normal 70-300 lens, that's a REAL waste of money Angry

[/quote']

I played with the 70-300 IS USM ... not that impressive. Edge blurring is still an issue, there's also a small amount of that "prism effect" (chromatic aberration?) BUT It's still better than the normal 70-300 lens, that's a REAL waste of money Angry

Yup I agree, played with it as well, bought the 70-200 F4 L LOVE this lens!