Screaming Mavic rear hub

splat

My rear Ksyrium Elite has developed an interesting noise over the last few days.

When I spin the wheel it gives a low whine/screaming sound.

Should I

a) ignore and just keep riding

B) panic and get it seen to?

Panic and get it seen to, its a problem with either the Pawl mechanism and one of the bushes/bearings. When last did you have it serviced? It could just need a clean and lubrication.

When I spin the wheel it gives a low whine/screaming sound.

Stop spinning the wheel and go and ride you bike! :lol:

Get it seen to or just look at it yourself. Make sure that your bearings are in good condition and well greased - most likely that bearings have dried up.

You don't want to carry on riding and then your back wheel seizes up on you :blink:

The freebody runs on a big bush closest to the centre of the wheel. You can take it of yourself and regrease the whole freebody or take it in to be done. What you do is tale of the axel cup on the left hand side. Then take a 10 or 12 allenkey on the left and a 5 on the right. Loosen the right hand screw, pull it out and pull off the freebody, off the hub, while rotating. Take care not to let the freewheel catch fall off. Take a cloth to clean every thing and regrease. When reassembling, push the cathes down, and rotate freebody to go over. Take care to ensure that a small washer in the freebody is still in place, because it seperates the 2 bearings. Then just re insert the screw, tighten and replace the left hand cup. SIMPLE

Thanks for all the responses.

I took it in to BMC this morning.

They had a quick look, lubed everything and put it back together while I waited.

Nothing major and no charge!

They rock!

The freebody runs on a big bush closest to the centre of the wheel. You can take it of yourself and regrease the whole freebody or take it in to be done. What you do is tale of the axel cup on the left hand side. Then take a 10 or 12 allenkey on the left and a 5 on the right. Loosen the right hand screw, pull it out and pull off the freebody, off the hub, while rotating. Take care not to let the freewheel catch fall off. Take a cloth to clean every thing and regrease. When reassembling, push the cathes down, and rotate freebody to go over. Take care to ensure that a small washer in the freebody is still in place, because it seperates the 2 bearings. Then just re insert the screw, tighten and replace the left hand cup. SIMPLE

correct

Get it seen to or just look at it yourself. Make sure that your bearings are in good condition and well greased - most likely that bearings have dried up.

You don't want to carry on riding and then your back wheel seizes up on you :blink:

How do you propose greasing those bearings? How would you ensure they are in good condition?