Chain is stuffed

iRob

Hi Guys

2 months and 2 days ago became the proud owner of a Giant Anthem X2. Bike is kitted with XT crank and front blades, XT rear derailleur, SLX front derailleur and SLX cassette and XT chain.

So I've ridden all of 800km. Washed my bike after every wet or muddy ride, cleaned my chain and lubed it well after each wash or 3-4th ride.

Did a race on Saturday, crossed a river and then rode through some nasty sand, suffered incredible chain suck and nursed my bike the entire race.

Thankfully my LBS was available to look at the bike and it turs out my chain is 100% worn (I measured it at the shop with the wear-tool) and the rear cassette has two rings BADLY worn.

800km?! 50% road, 40% jeep track 10% single track or technical jeep track.

Is this possible? I weigh around 90 and do have "dik" bene. But 800km? The chain is completely worn.

This is the same type of chain rode riders use (think is fits ultegra) so MTB rode riding in big blade shouldn't put as much tension as normal road riding.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Who can I query and is it possible to get this replaced under warranty?

Because 800km is too soon guys. Thick legs and big blade riding included.

I'm a little disappointed.

Must be the conditions because I've only changed my XT chain, cassette and middle ring after 5000km and I've never had chainsuck or the chain slipping.

I would like to see the real elongation on that chain, not the chain wear tool's guestimate. Measure it with a ruler and tell us how long it is.

Must be the conditions because I've only changed my XT chain, cassette and middle ring after 5000km and I've never had chainsuck or the chain slipping.

Ja I'm not sure. I did around 100km in the rain and then of that 25km was muddy.

I've heard of guys wearing the chain out but that was in the Epic and then with 1000m plus climbing a day.

Is there anyone from Shimano on the hub that I can engage in debate?

Does sound odd??

Are you sure the chain/casette was "new" to start with??

I'm sure, LBS owner is a good oke (not just a sales man), and the bike was spanking new when I got it. I was a bit surprised when I found out the cassette was SLX but this is standard on the bike as new.

Just had to replace my SRAM PG950 after 1200 km and I thought that was way too soon - same age caseette seems fine?! Have heard you can wreck a chain qiuckly with thick mud if its lost its lube?

@ iRob,

I bough my bike second hand about 3/4 years ago (full xtr) and have only changed the chain once since then.

I would like to see the real elongation on that chain, not the chain wear tool's guestimate. Measure it with a ruler and tell us how long it is.

I can speak to the LBS, they said they'd keep it aside for me for warranty purposes.

The chain did look pretty bad, I did notice a lot of play between the links the last time I took if off and cleaned it. (Friday night).

How much, in mm, does a chain wear before it must be replaced?

I've heard if the chain is worn it starts to wear the cassette away. I strongly doubt I was conned by the LBS.

I'm worried that this will keep happening to me. It is NOT cheap to replace this kind of stuff, especially a cassette.

Well I replace my chain when its 70% worn(+-850km), then I put on a new one change it at the same time again as previous. Normally I get about three chains on a cassete and middle chain ring in front before I have to replace the cassete and middle blade. It really depends on your riding style, if you cross shift your chain, lube it every ride and even while you ride on long rides, if you clean your chain to well(you can do this as well and remove the lube in the chain pins).

Edited by Sharkie 2

Good luck with trying the warranty angle.. Let us know if you come right..

Do you perhaps know who I can speak to? I've had bikes for YEARS and even though this is the fittest I've ever been (ito cycling) I have never had this happen this badly before.

sorry that sounded arrogant, what I mean is that I'd be VERY surprised that my riding style, as opposed to a professional cyclist, would be aggressive enough to wear my chain that quickly.

Edited by iRob

Well I replace my chain when its 70% worn(+-850km), then I put on a new one change it at the same time again as previous. Normally I get about three chains on a cassete and middle chain ring in front before I have to replace the cassete and middle blade. It really depends on your riding style, if you cross shift your chain, lube it every ride and even while you ride on long rides, if you clean your chain to well(you can do this as well and remove the lube in the chain pins).

Road or MTB? I have less of a hard time accepting that road riding (bigger blades = more tension on the chain) will wear a chain quicker. I was my chain clean clean, then soak it in a tube of White lightening Epic lube.

Where can I find out what Shimano say about chain maintenance?

Road or MTB? I have less of a hard time accepting that road riding (bigger blades = more tension on the chain) will wear a chain quicker. I was my chain clean clean, then soak it in a tube of White lightening Epic lube.

Where can I find out what Shimano say about chain maintenance?

MTB, remember a muddy ride of 25km if the chain was not properly lubed does effect a chain's life and later on it gets proportionally worse. Certain items do not carry a warranty and if I remember correctly chains don't

Edited by Sharkie 2