It had to happen - Got Knocked riding in this morning

Spat

So after many close shaves, I got side swiped this morning on my ride into work.

I am ok, luckily, I was in this guys blind spot and at the last minute he puts his indicator on and turns, I turned my front wheel just in time otherwisw I would have flipped over the car.

So my sti scraped his car and my shoulder went up against the door and then just went with the car into the side street.

Broke my cleat and the scrape on the sti, but otherwise ok.

:thumbdown:

Close shave it sounds and glad you could take evasive action...

I call Cape Town motorists "turndicators" ...it's like they only swipe the indicator stalk on the way round as a result of turning the steering wheel.

So after many close shaves, I got side swiped this morning on my ride into work.

I am ok, luckily, I was in this guys blind spot and at the last minute he puts his indicator on and turns, I turned my front wheel just in time otherwisw I would have flipped over the car.

So my sti scraped his car and my shoulder went up against the door and then just went with the car into the side street.

Broke my cleat and the scrape on the sti, but otherwise ok.

:thumbdown:

Eish, good to hear youre ok though :thumbup:

Hi Spat,

Not everyone gets off so lightly, but it still makes me MAD when cyclists are ignored on the road.

Regards

Sarge

To be honest I was so upset with this guy, he pulled off to the side, but I really did not want to go over there.

I checked myslef out and did not realise at the time that my cleat was broken, I just got back on and carried on.

In hind sight maybe I should have gone to give him a piece of my mind, but I think he was also in shock, so did not feel like making him feel any better by saying I was not hurt.

His an idiot and you should've approached him and make him feel worse than what he was.... Really, that will make him more aware on the road in future, his just going to carry on driving the way he does and the next cyclist to cross his path might not be so lucky....

Glad you ok.....

I call Cape Town motorists "turndicators" ...it's like they only swipe the indicator stalk on the way round as a result of turning the steering wheel.

brilliant!

very glad that you're ok. hell, he shouldn't have just pulled over and waited :thumbdown: - he should've come over to you and specifically asked you if you AND your bike were ok. the wheel turns though, so karma will get him.

90% of people think indicators is an optional extra when buying a car. Some miraculously discover them while they turn, most drivers are too lazy to bother using it...

90% of people think indicators is an optional extra when buying a car. Some miraculously discover them while they turn, most drivers are too lazy to bother using it...

Now that is true.

About 7 months ago a Lady driver over took me and will her kid is looking at me and saying " look mommy a bike " She turns with out indicating.

Had to replace my dt-swiss xr1450.

I gave her a call to tell her about the damage and she told me I should look where I am going.

What I have found (I always indicate timeously) is that when you indicate there will always be a chop who was traveling at the same speed as you or slower that will accelerate the moment you indicate so that he / she does not "loose" their place in traffic. People are the problem.

I also had a close encounter with a taxi on Friday ... the road takes a slow turn to the left with bikes and cars travelling at a fair speed. Mr Taxi driver keeps creeping into me (even though I had a yellow demarcated shoulder i was riding in) until I was riding in the the cement gutter lining on the side of the road ... had to "politely" knock on his side window to help him realise that I was there ... got my space back after that.

They rider should have first asked you how the bike was then check to see if you are ok :)

H

Cape Townians are advised not to use indicators... it gives away your next move. Only to be used to confuse other road users.

Try indicating before changing lanes and the guy 100m back will push the nitro button to try and close the gap between himself and the car infront. GUARANTEED.

Spat wrote:

>I was in this guys blind spot

A bad place to be.

Not that I'm excusing careless driving.

Guys, we all make mistakes. I sometimes miss cars in my blindspot, let alone a bicycle. Oh, and the guy stopped. We heard so much of guys just spedding off lately.

The poor guy was propably still in shock after the Curry cup loss and now this. Shame, give him a break.

Ja the Cape drivers are to lazy to lift their arses to check their blind spots, glad you ok but I personaly would have bliksemed that guy...