Aftersales for chinese bikes

W@j@

So i bought these small chinese-made kiddies bikes for my 2 and 3 year olds from one of the Hyperrama's here in Cape Town - I know not a good choice in hindsight but kids are still small and the bikes were cheap. The problem is everything is so cheaply built their brakes dont work and one of the bike's rear wheel cannot be suffieciently tightened (I have tried upto the point of damaging the washers thingy).

My question is would i be able to get the brakes replaced and the wheel tightened at a local bike shop?

I dont want to take it back to the hyper cos ive already damaged them so when they outgrow these will get some decent bikes for them but what do i do for now?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bummer man, even if you think you may have damaged it take it back to the Hyper and see what they say - if they're selling rubbish they should darn well be told about it! put their after sales service to the test!

rather get your kids decent 2nd hand bikes (with safe brakes, yikes!) that you'll be able to sell on - speak to Neil at Neilswheels (in the Checkers centre on main road, Plumstead right next to the cash converters) and see if he has anything for your kids - his number is 021-761 7563/076 999 5370. he advertises on gumtree fairly regularly.

Never ever buy anything which is Made in China. I know this rules out about 90% of the products in South Africa but steer clear of the Chinese crap. You could probably buy a pretty decent kids bike from your LBS with working wheels and breaks for around R250. Dependant on the age of your kids. For that price your kids would need to be between 3 and 6.

Edited by The Saint

Never ever buy anything which is Made in China.

Try and tell that to most of the people in Sandton with their Jeep clothing.

Never ever buy anything which is Made in China. I know this rules out about 90% of the products in South Africa but steer clear of the Chinese crap. You could probably buy a pretty decent kids bike from your LBS with working wheels and breaks for around R250. Dependant on the age of your kids. For that price your kids would need to be between 3 and 6.

I'd hate to break this to you............check where your frame is made. I bet it is also made in China. Unless you ride a 5 year old Cannondale, your frame comes from China. Even the "Made In the USA" Cannondales are made in China nowdays.

bummer man, even if you think you may have damaged it take it back to the Hyper and see what they say - if they're selling rubbish they should darn well be told about it! put their after sales service to the test!

rather get your kids decent 2nd hand bikes (with safe brakes, yikes!) that you'll be able to sell on - speak to Neil at Neilswheels (in the Checkers centre on main road, Plumstead right next to the cash converters) and see if he has anything for your kids - his number is 021-761 7563/076 999 5370. he advertises on gumtree fairly regularly.

Yeah I have been there once and have a friend who bought a bike from him but he didnt have a whole lot of stock the time i was there.

My son got one of those cheap crap "Spiderman" bikes. I encourage him to leave outside with the hope of it being stollen. It was a gift so I'm not allowed to toss it.

Had to fix it once again on Saturday. The problem is the lack of attention to detail. I now need to find special bolts you use to fit on old bike to keep the backwheel from moving forward.**

EDIT: Took 10 minutes googling but the part I need to put on is a "Chain Tug"

Edited by cbrunsdon

So i bought these small chinese-made kiddies bikes for my 2 and 3 year olds from one of the Hyperrama's here in Cape Town - I know not a good choice in hindsight but kids are still small and the bikes were cheap. The problem is everything is so cheaply built their brakes dont work and one of the bike's rear wheel cannot be suffieciently tightened (I have tried upto the point of damaging the washers thingy).

My question is would i be able to get the brakes replaced and the wheel tightened at a local bike shop?

I dont want to take it back to the hyper cos ive already damaged them so when they outgrow these will get some decent bikes for them but what do i do for now?

Taiwan

Edited by Feniks

My son got one of those cheap crap "Spiderman" bikes. I encourage him to leave outside with the hope of it being stollen. It was a gift so I'm not allowed to toss it.

Had to fix it once again on Saturday. The problem is the lack of attention to detail. I now need to find special bolts you use to fit on old bike to keep the backwheel from moving forward.**

EDIT: Took 10 minutes googling but the part I need to put on is a "Chain Tug"

yeah i have the exact same problem on one of the kids bikes where'd you egt the parts from?

Hate to break this to you, but most of the bike brands are made in China or Taiwan. And Taiwanese are Chinese too. Goes back to the days of Sun yat sen!! You just have to choose your quality standards better when buying something. :rolleyes:

Hate to break this to you, but most of the bike brands are made in China or Taiwan. And Taiwanese are Chinese too. Goes back to the days of Sun yat sen!! You just have to choose your quality standards better when buying something. :rolleyes:

Apparently it depends who you ask .. Taiwanese ppl say Taiwan is not part of china and Chinese ppl say Taiwan IS part of China .. used to work with a Taiwanese person :D

Apparently it depends who you ask .. Taiwanese ppl say Taiwan is not part of china and Chinese ppl say Taiwan IS part of China .. used to work with a Taiwanese person :D

As Basil Faulty said "Don't mention the War!"

yeah i have the exact same problem on one of the kids bikes where'd you egt the parts from?

Still need to source those chain tugs but they are pricey. Going to be cheaper to buy a new bike

Still need to source those chain tugs but they are pricey. Going to be cheaper to buy a new bike

How long is he still going to use the bike...... weld that damn axle to the frame!!!!!!!