Rubena MTB tyres?

MeridaV

I am considering trying tubless Rubena Scylla or Charybdis - anybody with experience of these tyres?

(I intend using it for XC racing, training and general messing around in Tokai and Jonkershoek)

Rubena has a big factory in Europe and make tyres for quite a few others as far as I've heard. I've had 3 Rubena Saurus and 2 snapped/stretched beads on me... Paid R100 per tyre so was'nt too bad. The one lasted quite well.

got a set of scylla's on both my wheelsets. very good tracktion with loose over hard terain. probably the lightest tubeless around. 490gramms. no flats yet. very hard to get onto a stans rim though. the mavic crossmax was easier.

could definately recommend

i have the charybis. great tyre for racing XC. not so sure if training wit hit is a good idea.

i got a tear in my front tyre. the tyre was still new. So it was R500 a pop! :angry:

I have a set of these tyres on my bike as a bikeshop asked me to test them.

I found them to be:-

1. Fast rolling

2. Good grip in the Gauteng dry conditions ( no rain yet)

3. Very hard to get onto my rims. Don't know if they will come off without been cut

I was concerned about the strength of the sidewalls as the rubber is soft.

On Sunday I tried out a few bunnyhops to see if the tyres would hold air. On the last landing the front tyre split at the seam.

I have many grazes, bruised ribs, a broken helmet and a suspected broken wrist.

I will never fit the tyres to my bike again.

Edited by I FLY

I have a set of these tyres on my bike as a bikeshop asked me to test them.

I found them to be:-

1. Fast rolling

2. Good grip in the Gauteng dry conditions ( no rain yet)

3. Very hard to get onto my rims. Don't know if they will come off without been cut

I was concerned about the strength of the sidewalls as the rubber is soft.

On Sunday I tried out a few bunnyhops to see if the tyres would hold air. On the last landing the front tyre split at the seam.

Not nice but how's the bike?

Bike was on its 1st ride after a very expensive rebuild by Mike's Bike.

Only damage seems to be the left Cane Creek barend.

It's always the last one that does it hey...

That's because you couldn't continue anyway Lol

I hope you're not in too much pain and that the bike shop compensates you for your expensive testing phase.

It's always the last one that does it hey...

That's because you couldn't continue anyway Lol

I hope you're not in too much pain and that the bike shop compensates you for your expensive testing phase.

Fitted a tube and rode 10kms to Medicross Clinic, had X-rays and grazes dressed, then rode home. Africa is not for sissies.

I was so pumped up with adrenaline that I only started feeling pain 10 minutes after getting to Clinic.

Fitted a tube and rode 10kms to Medicross Clinic, had X-rays and grazes dressed, then rode home. Africa is not for sissies.

I was so pumped up with adrenaline that I only started feeling pain 10 minutes after getting to Clinic.

Too hardcore for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Bike is back from LBS with clean bill of health and 2 x new conti MK tyres. :clap:

Hopefully my wrist is healed enough to start riding it again in two weekends time.