Racism on Idols

MyGT

i caught a glimpse on one of the sunday papers about Racism and idols and there was a pic of Mara and Randall. so i thought somebody has caught up with Mara's pathetic remarks to the greater white contestants, and was shocked to here that she is the one complaining that the show is racist!!!

News 24 extract

Mara: Idols is racist

Gavin Prins, Rapport

Johannesburg – A race row has erupted around the TV reality show Idols after one of the judges, Mara Louw, lashed out to reporters about the new Idol, Elvis Blue.

She said Idols was full of racism and if M-Net did not soon sell the competition to the SABC, South Africans would never have a black winner.

Louw said: "L'loyd should have won. Finish and klaar!"

"Black people don't have access to DStv," said Louw. "So a large part of South Africa is excluded. White people vote for white people and black people get the short end of the stick."

It is the first time that an Idols judge comes out to slam a winning Idol. Her comments may affect her role in the popular series in future.

Although the numbers showed that Elvis got almost twice as many votes as L'loyd, Louw said: "South Africans are still racist."

Third judge Randall Abrahams said he disagreed. "To say that white people vote white and black people vote black, you have to know every person who is voting and know who he is voting for. And this is impossible."

"M-Net gained many black viewers. How do you know that black people didn't vote for Elvis? People stopped voting long ago for only singing talent, they vote for the whole package. And in any case, it is the white people who buy the albums," said Abrahams.

M-Net spokesperson Lani Lombard said people voted for talent and not race. She said the top four were a clear indication of this. She said Idols was also not limited to DStv and that the Idols were introduced to people on radio stations, in local newspapers and even public performances.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe she should have another pill popping and drink quaffing session and shut up! Who is she anyway?

'Black people don't have DSTV'! WTF?!

When you drive past all the RDP, squatter camp places etc, count the dishes hanging on the sides of the houses and shacks!

I think they should stop the show...seriously, it's pathetic and waste of a good time slot.

They should get Mrs Timberlake on the show, he can do "Cry me a river" for the crazy, drunk living in the past, obese woman!

She should get a bike (and use it) in order to regain use of her legs and stop rolling aroung responsibility for her stoopit comments and actions.

People should get over themselves ... with their "political black crap" there are loads of "BLACK PEOPLE" with DSTV ...It's this kind of talk that makes South Africa go two steps forward and ten steps back ... no progress. Elvis Blue was the better singer, he looked the part and was more talented than Lloyd .... so Mara must wake up !!!!

whats idols ???

the top 10 had more people of colour than white !!!! and if mara remembers elvis blue joined the show due to his aid victim friens who was a young black kid who loved music !

i'm sick to death of this crap ...surely by saying that the winner had won due to his colour that is being racist !!?!??!??!? and of the 250k elvis gave to l'loyd he will clear more than elvis through tax !!!!! elvis has a job and has to average his earnings ..therfore will pay more tax ..but l'loyd will only pay an amount over the period ..20%.. while elvis will pay 40%...

she should be fined for anti white comments !!!!!! but her and that pig julius M seem to get away from that ...black people cant be racist ???? crap ...!!!!

Mara said the same **** last year though when Jason beat Sasha-Lee :angry:

I think its time the cow effffs off into obscurity where she belongs :angry:

she should be fined for anti white comments !!!!!! but her and that pig julius M seem to get away from that ...black people cant be racist ???? crap ...!!!!

'Closet Europeans'

I just love it when racism gets blamed for everything whilst everyone who is not PDA is being pomped up the buttocks like a prison inmate, and they just whimper and turn the other cheek.

It's quite a lag actually, sooner or later our friends will realise that in order to look to the future you actually need to turn your head in that direction.

Edited by Dangle

It's quite a lag actually, sooner or later our friends will realise that in order to look to the future you actually need to turn your head in that direction.

:clap:

If any of you are able to download torrents, get "A Conversation About Race". Eye opening stuff. Especially blacks read racism into EVERYTHING. If you look at them too long, you are racist. If you pay them a compliment without them expecting it, you are a racist. Amazing ****.

Mara said the same **** last year though when Jason beat Sasha-Lee :angry:

I think its time the cow effffs off into obscurity where she belongs :angry:

Grapevine stuffed up that one.

I can proudly say that I've never watched an episode of this sheet .

However; Mara does raise IMO some interesting points.

1. Other than DSTV airing their black shareholders advert every friggin 10 mins (WTF?) accross all channels, has there ever been stats on viewer household breakdown, according to demographic?

2. What are the races of all the past winners ? Sasha Lee is coloured ? But that doesn't really count because she ain't black and her (joint)winning was an IT f@rk up.

3. If Idols did move to SABC, yep, in it's first season on SABC, probably would be a black winner for the first time.

Grapevine stuffed up that one.

I can proudly say that I've never watched an episode of this sheet .

However; Mara does raise IMO some interesting points.

1. Other than DSTV airing their black shareholders advert every friggin 10 mins (WTF?) accross all channels, has there ever been stats on viewer household breakdown, according to demographic?

2. What are the races of all the past winners ? Sasha Lee is coloured ? But that doesn't really count because she ain't black and her (joint)winning was an IT f@rk up.

3. If Idols did move to SABC, yep, in it's first season on SABC, probably would be a black winner for the first time.

Yo, yo, yo my Bro, how much Mageau have you had for breakfast :unsure: