Cruising the Crater ? 100km.

Li Mu Bai

I stood shivering. The sudden cold wind had me fidgeting, ready to get going. The weather had turned ominous; low black clouds rolling over as we waited on the start line. The sun that greeted our arrival in the sleepy small town of Parys had all but been banished. Standing midway in the bunch of riders, I worried as other riders unfolded and donned their rain gear. It seemed there was a good turnout, helmeted heads bobbing from front to back.

My chip echoed the start whistle as it greeted the timing mat with a shrill beep. This set the Whasp energy gels buzzing in my pockets, as my cleats finally clicked into rhythm. The neutral tar zone vanished quickly beneath my singing tyres, and soon the long sand roads revealed their ruts. Luckily a smooth path through these could easily be found. The rain behaved, just spitting a few drops here and there, and it wasn?t long before the sun made a fine comeback, which would leave all of us with nice red knees at the end of the race.

The single track seemed freshly hewn from the local pastures, knobby and bumpy if you were riding a hardtail. The bottleneck at the ditch had me grinning; I shouldered my Commencal and jogged around the riders patently waiting for their tickets to pass through the drop off ditch. Shouts at the back of ?C?mon, ride it guys!? were filtering through, to which I loudly replied ?It?s dangerous!? Chuckles followed.

The steep rocky climb was fun to pedal through, and a refreshing break from rolling up and down the farm roads. At halfway the fly fishermen were hard at work, chasing the yellows as we crossed the surging Vaalriver. The 50km watering hole was welcoming. I topped up my energy levels with a shake and a Crazykiwi for desert, and sped off again. It seemed someone had upset the wind gods, because riding back we had a headwind once again, making the grind along the sand roads a chore. The sting in the tail was still to come though. Crossing under the highway bridge, it seemed the trolls had been hard at work churning up the soft muddy soil into several small bogs. Then the ?sorry? little granite climb had most riders grumbling, followed by the seemingly endless traverse over the grassy fields of the plateau.

The railway lines marked a return to civilization, with annoying switchbacks and extra meters of trail that made my legs complain. An avocado green chameleon nearly met my tyre, and I hoped his jerky movements would get him off the trail before the next competitor came along.

The Arc d?Triomphe marked the entrance to the warehouse as I crossed the mats, and my race was done. In no time I joined the other riders who were soaking their legs in the fountain and got my breath back. A great ride.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The steep rocky climb was fun to pedal through' date=' and a refreshing break from rolling up and down the farm roads.

[/quote']

you sick puppy!LOLthe gear i was pushing meant there wasn't a chance i was going to do anything but push. got rattled on the way down the other side, but only had to get off once when the chain tensioner failed.

agree about the wind on the way back. even descending was slow!

nice reportThumbs%20Up 
holy roller2007-10-15 05:37:22

Holly roller how did your race go, I thought you guys said it was flat. My gaai af getrap!! Maar dit was lekkeeeer!!!!! 

By the way thanks for ignoring me I shouted at the single speed man passing me. He He LOL But no reaction probably concentrating on the pedal stroke!!!!

Holly roller how did your race go' date=' I thought you guys said it was flat. My gaai af getrap!! Maar dit was lekkeeeer!!!!! [/quote']

What was the total ascent? For the 56km it was 480m.

My first one as well , enjoyed it . The last 10 to 20 km's was really a tester . Holy one , were you the guy on the white singlespeed Giant ?

Kritzie is jy seker dit was lekker, want vir my was dit nie baie fun nie... Die laaste deel het ek die woordeboek herskryf, want dis regtig onnodig om ons 'n detour te laat vat na 99km.

Het lekker saam my suster gery tot half way, daarna was dit pyn en suffer vir die res... maar o well, nou kan ek darem s?, been there, done that, will never be so stupid again

Well done BEE en Chillie - guess dis 1 - 0 ha ha

1-0 my ass.

well done aan almal wat crater klaar gemaak het...dis net spesiale mense wat dit kan doen...hiehie

Vetpens & Amoryn - het nie geweet daar was 'n kompetisie aan die gang nie???LOL

O - kon julle toe tot 'n besluit kom oor die Sabie???

ek dink vet pens het half en hal idee wat y wil doen..dink daardie laaste 20km het haar goeie indikasie gegee van wat kan voorl? Dead

So vetpens???? kom nou man - dit was nie sooo bad nie!!!!ConfusedDead

(ja ek weet dit is 4 dae wat mens so moet suffer - maar alles in the name of fun!!!!)

HA HA - nee dit was glad nie so bad nie, het net nog nooit soveel pyn in my bene gevoel soos Saterdag nie. Enige future investments op fietse is verseker op hold gesit unless Crux vir my ook so nice Siemens Lefty kan organise

Eish - Sabie - gelukkig nog paar maande weg....