Maxxis Crossmark - Good Tyre?

MattyG

Good or bad tyre for front end.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. good or bad tyre for front end..based on grip sidewall protection etc etc..not weight

• good
    • bad
    • ok -but there are better tyres for that price(if so comment in thread)

Hi there im looking at purchasing a new front tyre a maxxis crossmark

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/maxxis-crossmark-ust-tyre

I mostly do XC riding and like every where where there is a path..so general riding, mud , dirt , singletrack etc etc. I was wondering is this tyre worth the money over my current schwalbe black jack

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=93597

im only gna buy one for the front..will it give me more grip in the corners over loose ground like gravel or looseish sand than my current tyres?? or should i rather play around with my tyre pressures etc??

Edited by MattyG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as grip goes they do their job quite well, had mine for a few hundred km's but they're not that strong as I hoped, had a few punctures between the two Crossmarks but fortunately no sidewall cuts.

As far as grip goes they do their job quite well, had mine for a few hundred km's but they're not that strong as I hoped, had a few punctures between the two Crossmarks but fortunately no sidewall cuts.

from that i take it you running tubeless??

if so hows the wear?? and by not as strong as u hoped..what exactly do you mean please?

Hi there im looking at purchasing a new front tyre a maxxis crossmark

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/maxxis-crossmark-ust-tyre

I mostly do XC riding and like every where where there is a path..so general riding, mud , dirt , singletrack etc etc. I was wondering is this tyre worth the money over my current schwalbe black jack

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=93597

im only gna buy one for the front..will it give me more grip in the corners over loose ground like gravel or looseish sand than my current tyres?? or should i rather play around with my tyre pressures etc??

MattyG, they are a bit on the heavy side. It all depends what type of rider you are, but I will say go for XC racing, go for the lightest tyre (with sufficient grip). Take a look at the Schwalbe Racing Ralph(bit expensive) or Specialized Fast Trak LK or Bontrager Revolt Super X. All these i know are in the 500-600g range. Continentals are also quite popular but no experience there.

However, the Crossmarks will probably outlast all of the above.

I've been running UST Crossmarks for four years and have used them for the Epic, Sabie Experience, Sani2 c, Joberg2c, ...

They are supposd to be for dry conditions, but they have worked well for me in the worst mud.

Wear is also pretty good. I have also found them to be very robust against puncturing and damage.

They work for me...

Edited by jmaccelari

Have tried all of the above and for rough rocky terrain nothing beats the sidewall strength of the LUST Maxxis. Having said this I suppose it depends on what sort of terrain you will be riding on.

Not a bad tyre on the roads of Magalies, not so good in sticky mud though. I have had one sidewall cut but to be fair the road I was cycling on had been graded and there was a nasty broken piece of rock I saw at the last second! I wouldn't put on on the front mind you as I feel it slides quite nicely and predictably on the back end. Wear is not bad either. I still buy the wire bead ones for around R220.

Depends what you define as a good tire.

For me:

Last long.

OK in most of your riding conditions

Grips OK.

Easy on the pocket.

Rolls good on hardpack (In South Africa XC is mostly on hardpack)

Good sidewalls (like he LUST version) I HATE punctures.

Seals first time when you go tubeless. Proper sidewalls.

You will see super lightweight is last on my list. Maybe because I HATE punctures.

If the above is what you define as a good tire, I can recommend the Crossmark UST tires. I just did the Sabie X with a Crossmark as a back tire(again) +1

If super lightweight is what you are looking at, have lots of $$$, don't mind the odd puncture or like to state the weight of your bike as 9.98kg, buy a lighter tire.

Also been riding crossmark ust for 3 years. I think its super robust and had my first puncture was after more than 2500km. I would recommend replacing after 2-3 yrs if not worn out yet, because the rubber gets old and that's when the punctures start. Not good for mud though and grip seems to be average. To be fair I haven't compared it head-on with many other tyres, I ride them cause I hate fixing punctures!

Also been riding crossmark ust for 3 years. I think its super robust and had my first puncture was after more than 2500km.

I got my first puncture on about 2500km as well. I think the crossmark is a brilliant all round tyre. Rode them at mankele this weekend in wet conditions and the werent to bad as well. You wont make a mistake by getting the crossmarks.

2 years!

That is how long I had my crossmark on the rear wheel (The front one will go 3 I think). The rear one started looking like a slick! I replaced it with a Geax - just because I can.

The crossmark is a good tyre for hardpack. Stay clear from muddy conditions it has little grip there.

It is durable (which makes it heavy), lasts long (Not as sticky) and good for most surfaces (does not clear mud very well)

I have just moved from Kenda Excavators to Maxxis Crossmarks LUST.

Yes they are a faster running tyre and handle dry conditions superbly.

The Excavators are a better tyre by far in wet and muddy conditions, having said this I do not believe that the Maxxis tyre is meant to be a wet/muddy condition tyre.

I've moved away from crossmarx. Reason being is that I've had 3 that somehow the tread distorts and makes it look like your wheel is buckled when in fact it's the tyre that is f#%&ked. I have a maxxis monorail on the front that does the job well though.

I'm running crossmarks in the rear and have no complaints. They've been awesome in most conditions.

As for the front i have the monorail; which i find not too good in muddy conditions. Is the rear cross mark from monorail a good combo or have a mixed the placing up?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maxxis Monorail up front, Maxxis CrossMark on the back.

Tyre choice is a very personal thing and to each his own. But the Monorail/CrossMark works for me, especially in drier conditions. I don't like the Crossmark in front because I find it skittish. However on the back it tracks nicely, but it's loose enough for you to get the back out if you want to.

I had a wirebead Crossmark at the back running Tubeless (635g). With the bit of rain we had in the last couple of weeks I decided to throw a UST Kenda Nevegal (810g) on the back to get a bit more traction, however, that extra 175g and the extra rolling resistance from the Nevegal is killing me up the hills and flats. I'm liking it going fast on downhill though.

As soon as the mud dries out I'm putting the Crossmark back though.

Then there is the difference between the normal and LUST versions from Maxxis. Normal Wirebead (635g), normal foldable (545g) and LUST (705g). The normal foldable should be a LOT quicker than the LUST version, but the LUST version looks like a much better quality and much more robust tyre.

Enjoy making your choice :D

Have a look at this link, make for interesting reading. Tire test results