What's up with compulsory team races?

MeridaV

Just a thought, but am I alone in being irritated by races that you can only enter as a team? Don't get me wrong, I fully support the notion of having the option of entering teams, but how about allowing solo riders to do their own thing?

Team races operate under the premise that they need less support because the teams are more self-sufficient and hence save a bit of cost on the crews etc.

SabieX Lite offered a Solo option this year, but that ws piggy-backed off the 2 team events.

Yeah, I dont know. I'd have loved to do Sabie Full Solo. Settled on Lite Solo.

I guess its a safety (medical mostly) on a longer stage race? And admittedly, from time to time it does get a bit boring.

On the plus side, you can put the hammer down when you want and tap off equally. Give me Sabie Full Solo, i'd probably take it, but then 4 hours on a bike solo does get a bit tedious.

They should allow it to sufficiently "qualified" individuals who've done distance stage races before, you dont want a novice on his own somewhere in the forest, do you?

Guest agteros

Yeah, I dont know. I'd have loved to do Sabie Full Solo. Settled on Lite Solo.

I guess its a safety (medical mostly) on a longer stage race? And admittedly, from time to time it does get a bit boring.

On the plus side, you can put the hammer down when you want and tap off equally. Give me Sabie Full Solo, i'd probably take it, but then 4 hours on a bike solo does get a bit tedious.

They should allow it to sufficiently "qualified" individuals who've done distance stage races before, you dont want a novice on his own somewhere in the forest, do you?

Two novices ain't better! :blink:

Yeah, but at least, or you should hope, one novice can identify when his team mate is in trouble.

For one, i know, my ride partner and I always remind each other to drink, eat, etc, and we can tell where each of us are in a bit of trouble. You dont have to admit these things when you're good team mates, you just know these things.

So two novices should sort themselves out, I dunno, eat each other if things get heavy :) lol

+1, partners are very hard to find.

Ya but dangle, not everyone has the most bling 9r out. Makes most bikes look like a dunlop special, so I wouldnt ride my Zaskar with you 'cos of that.

But seriously, you're really right there. Finding a good team mate ain't easy.

Ja, I don't buy the safety argument - it might be valid for something like the Transbaviaans, but not so much for most of the multi-stage races that are popping up these days.