• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a recce ride for the 2019 Carnival City Macsteel MTB route, on a very flat ‘n fast course. Track is in a good condition, and should make for some good times.l and lots of PBs should conditions remain the same.

d373cfa1873f4992f0b0c3174c2ff488.jpg

2d6ed0a85974e2ba07c9353489499d17.jpg

Today was a recce ride for the 2019 Carnival City Macsteel MTB route, on a very flat ‘n fast course. Track is in a good condition, and should make for some good times.l and lots of PBs should conditions remain the same.

d373cfa1873f4992f0b0c3174c2ff488.jpg

2d6ed0a85974e2ba07c9353489499d17.jpg

Looks nice.Def break out the Hardtail for that

Edited by Kranswurm

Maritz and I did the Caledon Staalwater funride today.

STIFF breeze .....

Permanent cloud cover ....

Downright chilly !!

But there is no such thing as a "bad ride".  :thumbup:   This one may just have managed to give you double the workout for the distance ...    :devil:

Small field for the 15km ride.  IDEAL, as the idea was to get Maritz more comfortable in group rides ....  :clap:

post-110956-0-24931500-1566061122_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-80469300-1566061196_thumb.jpg

We deliberately lined up in the second row, I wanted him to work on his starting routine ....

post-110956-0-27852900-1566061213_thumb.jpg

It meant that during the first kilometer we were passing a few riders, AND we were passed by a few more .... and then it all settled out, with us still in the first half off the group.  Was good for Maritz to experience this, and hopefully it will boost his confidence for the SPUR starts ...   Think most riders had enough common sense to not burn all their matches into the wind on the first half of the race.  The first 1,7km was STRAIGHT into the wind !!  Once we turned it was clear to SEE the wind ...

post-110956-0-85019200-1566061347_thumb.jpg

O-yes, the 15km ride and the 7km run started at the SAME time .... nearly caused some accidents at the start ...   :wacko:   You will see a good many runners in the pics.  THANKS to the three runners that kept on encouraging Maritz !!  We would pass them, stop for water, they pass us, we would pass then, stop for Jelly-babies (racing fuel for kids!), they would pass us .... by the end of the race we had three new friends.  :thumbup:

With Spring around the corner, and good winter rains, the fields are a visual FEAST !!  Good to see the next wheat crop ...

post-110956-0-17446100-1566061685_thumb.jpg

And by all accounts we will have margerine on the bread ....

post-110956-0-92301500-1566061761_thumb.jpg

Just look at that THIN racing line ontop of that hump ....  add in that side wind and you had be alert !!  To add insult to injury, LOTS of animal holes in the ground !!!  I NEARLY bought a plot while I had the phone-camera in the one hand and rode through a series of these holes ...  :oops:   :cursing:

The hills and the wind provided me with an excellent workout opportunity !!    Riding the trail was a workout in its own.  Helping Maritz up many of the steep hills with my hand on his back meant I was working properly on the hills !!  :thumbup:   Dare I say .... Zwift may just have improved my performance out on the trails ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Not bad for an 8-year old

post-110956-0-62220800-1566061895_thumb.jpg

THANKS to the farmers for allowing us onto their property and providing us with so much fun !!!!

post-110956-0-68363800-1566061911_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

Took this little one for a ride at the hoogies jump park this afternoon. 

Great start, then hooked up with a mate of mine and his slightly older son, who is extremely skilled. Mine tried to follow him down and managed to get his front wheel stuck in a drainage channel that takes up about half the trail on the beginner line. Needless to say 20" wheels don't exactly smooth those bumps. Dirt nap occurred, snot en trane. Got back up, took him to the top and let him explore the jump park while mate's kid rode. Got him back on for one last run and then back to the car. Little tyke loved it. 

post-3056-0-70992300-1566063149_thumb.jpg

Great start, then hooked up with a mate of mine and his slightly older son, who is extremely skilled. Mine tried to follow him down and managed to get his front wheel stuck in a drainage channel that takes up about half the trail on the beginner line. Needless to say 20" wheels don't exactly smooth those bumps. Dirt nap occurred, snot en trane. Got back up, took him to the top and let him explore the jump park while mate's kid rode. Got him back on for one last run and then back to the car. Little tyke loved it. 

They bounce back quickly !!!

And seeing another kid doing more spurs them on .....

And YES ..... seeing Maritz go from 20'' to 24'' was a real eye opener !!!!  Cant wait for him to grow that last bit so he can get onto the 26'' ....

GREAT stuff Myles. That is priceless time!

Edited by DJR

Short sharp protest ride up the hill behind my place (lungs and legs protested).

Was reminded what a magic ride the C40 is........can't say why I need any other bikes........oh, wait, that is a banned thought! Must wipe it! Never think stuff like that again! Bad boy! Chant N+1 a thousand times over!

post-17716-0-34221500-1566145422_thumb.jpg

Short sharp protest ride up the hill behind my place (lungs and legs protested).

Was reminded what a magic ride the C40 is........can't say why I need any other bikes........oh, wait, that is a banned thought! Must wipe it! Never think stuff like that again! Bad boy! Chant N+1 a thousand times over!

What’s the story with all the white crosses?

Collagier burial ground ????

So it was unofficial Riding with Kids Week-end it seems. 

We have been trying to take the kids for cycling for a very long time, but they just did not have interest. We kinda gave up on it. Something in the air, or water or something changed, and I got asked on Friday evening if I would take the younger two for a ride. 

I obviously agreed.

post-24416-0-91495500-1566202633_thumb.jpg

The little 8 year old is on a 24inch GT stomper. The bike is too big for him still, however he is handling it like a pro. Needs a running start to get going, and is still very much a passenger sometimes.

Took him on some really gnarly stuff, and he made it through quite well considering.

post-24416-0-34039700-1566202945_thumb.jpg

Sunday, we went to Avianto ( the little one complained initially on how diffucult the beginning was. But settled nicely afterwards, got off where he felt it was too steep down, and I helped him up where too loose or steep.

post-24416-0-92005700-1566203036_thumb.jpg

Managed to loose the older one, he went off on his own, because we were going too slow. Took a wrong turn and ended up having to phone and drop a location pin in order to get re-united.

all in, a memorable week-end. Hopefully the momentum keeps up and our family cycling culture will develop more.

post-24416-0-86932900-1566203170_thumb.jpg

Edited by RocknRolla