• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Thanks for making me lus for a beer at 08:30 in the morning at work, chop!

Bwa ha ha ha, you’re welcome [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

089a94659c3c5a1029923cfeb5e4ad29.jpg

This is knows as Zad’s. Because the building on the right is a spaza type shop with that name. Officially this is called Last Exit Al-Qudra and is the base for the cycling track here in Dubai. There’s a Trek Concept store here, coffee shop, plenty parking, a Tesla Super Charger and being the Middle East, a Mosque. Mosque’s for all cyclists here are great because they all have cold fresh water dispensers for drinking outside, best way to fill up those bidons! We have just over 160km of cycle track linked from this central point. Open and free 24 hours a day. Emergency phones every 5-10km on the track. 6 months of the year, in the summer months most people only ride indoors but the rest ride after sunset or before sunrise. Very common to start a ride at 10pm and ride thru to 2am.

This was last night, around 9pm about to start a 2 hour ride. Weather now great as summer is behind us. My Garmin registered 21 degrees toward the end of the ride. Just awesome! By December you’ll be needing a windbreaker at night to ride.

Riding at night, getting back to Zad’s at 2am and still the shop being open for chips and a cappuccino, people always around who’ve either been riding or been in the desert for a braai, is a different experience. The calmness of the night mixed with high intensity workouts is unique.

A lekker recovery ride around town - a couple bursts to avoid “problems” at intersections as well as some over-eagerness on the few 4-5% inclines. Otherwise exactly what the doctor would prescribe.

Z4 - 4%

Z3 - 7%

Z2 - 16%

Z1 - 50%

Freewheeling - 23%

0806cd2ab98028fdb96442799c178477.jpg

A lekker recovery ride around town - a couple bursts to avoid “problems” at intersections as well as some over-eagerness on the few 4-5% inclines. Otherwise exactly what the doctor would prescribe.

Z4 - 4%

Z3 - 7%

Z2 - 16%

Z1 - 50%

Freewheeling - 23%

0806cd2ab98028fdb96442799c178477.jpg

Really?! [emoji1] If I cycled in zone 1 for an hour I’d probably get about 12km done [emoji2359] and for me to get to around a 28km/h average I’d have to be in.... well, I’d have to be in someone else’s body as I haven’t managed that yet. [emoji2359][emoji2359]

I was out for a slower (if you can imagine that) spin today and for most of it I was just thinking to myself how amazing the countryside is here and how grateful I am to be able to enjoy it on a bike as I do.

My life has completely changed and it’s such an amazing improvement.

7bcda2e5f9a65f36f38e739086107c25.jpg

089a94659c3c5a1029923cfeb5e4ad29.jpg

This is knows as Zad’s. Because the building on the right is a spaza type shop with that name. Officially this is called Last Exit Al-Qudra and is the base for the cycling track here in Dubai. There’s a Trek Concept store here, coffee shop, plenty parking, a Tesla Super Charger and being the Middle East, a Mosque. Mosque’s for all cyclists here are great because they all have cold fresh water dispensers for drinking outside, best way to fill up those bidons! We have just over 160km of cycle track linked from this central point. Open and free 24 hours a day. Emergency phones every 5-10km on the track. 6 months of the year, in the summer months most people only ride indoors but the rest ride after sunset or before sunrise. Very common to start a ride at 10pm and ride thru to 2am.

This was last night, around 9pm about to start a 2 hour ride. Weather now great as summer is behind us. My Garmin registered 21 degrees toward the end of the ride. Just awesome! By December you’ll be needing a windbreaker at night to ride.

Riding at night, getting back to Zad’s at 2am and still the shop being open for chips and a cappuccino, people always around who’ve either been riding or been in the desert for a braai, is a different experience. The calmness of the night mixed with high intensity workouts is unique.

When do you sleep though?